Media Choices Questions

snoopy65

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Ok, I have been reading threads and articles about different media (balls, ceramic, sponges, scrubber, etc.) and frankly I am a bit confused as to what to use.

I have Magnum 350s on my tanks. I have always just followed the directions on the use of them. I fill the container with carbon, put the sleeve on, clean/rinse monthly. Is there other stuff I can put in the filter canister to be able to rinse it out less often or is all of that other media for sumps or hob? And if there is, exactly what do I do?

Thanks

WiND DANCE

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 7, 2008
CA
I'd get rid of the carbon would be the first step. Carbon is used mainly to remove medicine and etc chemical wise. The activated carbon only lasts a weeks or so before it starts to leech. So its really serves no purpose using it every month. The ceramic, biomax and ball media is nice to grow beneficial bacteria, choose any one that you can afford. The biomax only needs to be replaced every month or so. A quick rinse with de-chlorinated water is best if its ting to clogg.
Magnum 350 is good as a beginner canister if you use it with the right media and clean sleeve.

snoopy65

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Ok so only use carbon after medicating? How often does the other media need to be replaced? or do you not replace it? Replace just the sleeve? Do I leave the small tube that is inside the media container in there or fill it completely with the balls or ceramic or which ever I choose to put in? What is the best choice?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store