100g upstairs?

Mudfrog

Piranha
MFK Member
Oct 3, 2005
VA
I posted before and everyone thought that a 150g would be too much for a main level floor, but what about a 100g? It's a 60x18 footprint with a wood cabinet so the pressure would be spread out evenly. House was built in 1986 so I can't say how well it was built and the basement underneath it is finished so I can't see the truss configuration. I've had a 55 gallon and a 30 gallon under that for 2 years and I haven't seen any ill effects, so would I probably be safe with a 100g since it has a bigger footprint?

Gr8KarmaSF

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MFK Member
Jul 23, 2005
Quarantine Tank
Ive got a 240g. on my second floor...

RedTailKinG

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 20, 2008
QUEENS NYC
I also have a 240 gallon on the secound floor a house is built to take weight I'm in construction and structual engineers work with me on a day to day basis and I was told that wood beams should never be underestimated that they have so much flex in them that people get crazy when they think of oh i'm going to go thru to the basement with all of this weight no I cant do that well trust me I almost put a 500 gallon and that was way to much I've had a 110 and now just went over to a 240 7'x26"x30" so you should be fine go bigger!!!!

RedTailKinG

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 20, 2008
QUEENS NYC
yes think about it you have prob the basic in every home I assume a fridge a stove couch furniture tv set dining room you and who ever else on those beams a tub just everything together a 100 gallon at lets say the most if its fresh water 9 lbs per gallon is 900 lbs give or take thats the weight of just half of your stuff in your home you'll be fine go bigger

Damon0306

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jan 6, 2006
New Jersey
I put a 150-long on my second floor in my apartment, up against a main support wall, took a while to get it leveled on the carpet.

I was so worried about it for so long, the day the tank came, I was shocked at its EMPTY WEIGHT with stand and I was freaking out for days :WHOA: saying what have I done :nilly:

But so far so good, I still walk gently when I am near the tank, when friends/family visit I always yell stay away from the tank! :screwy:

RedTailKinG

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 20, 2008
QUEENS NYC
lol same here I even yell at the dogs who only weight like 10lbs each and I also walk slo around the 240 haha

pcfriedrich

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Apr 2, 2008
North Central Florida
There should be a sticky about this, it comes up at least once a week.

I was walking by a construction site the other day (they were building an apartment complex). I started thinking about the size of wood that houses are built from, and how close together the beams are, and thought about that strength to weight ratio (your average building doesn't weigh anywhere near the amount it is made to support).

I then, in my mind, compared them to the wood that most aquarium stands are mad of, and realized that we are all paranoid.

any non-rotted or termite infested floor can support very large tanks, especially if the relatively small and weak stands can support their weight.

we are all worried about putting a tank on a floor made from 2x10's and plywood, while they are sitting on stands made from 1x1s.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store