Replacing cartriges on a HOB

FalconKeeper

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 14, 2008
Tucson, AZ
www.myspace.com
I have two Penguin 350's on my 55g brackish tank and it seems like everytime I replace the filter cartriges I get a nitrite spike. I know most of my bio filtraion is on he bio wheels but am I removing too much at once? Should I replace them one at a time over he course of a few days?

Nicksplosion

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 12, 2008
New Jersey
only replace the pad in one filter at a time, wait a couple of days then do the other one.

FalconKeeper

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 14, 2008
Tucson, AZ
www.myspace.com
Hmm ok so since there are 4 cartriges total (two per filter) should I do both in one filter and then the other filter later or one individual cartrige at a time?

chesterthehero

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 20, 2008
corona, ca
1 cartridge out of 1 filter at a time

Bderick67

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 18, 2006
Colorado
Looks to me as if for some reason the benefical bacteria is not building up on your biowheels. Do you clean your biowheels at all? You may want to run the filters without cartridges for a while and let the BB get built up on the biowheels. I've run biowheels for many years and never seen this happen.

FalconKeeper

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 14, 2008
Tucson, AZ
www.myspace.com
I have never cleaned the biowheels other than cleaning out the pockets they sit in to make they spin again if I see them stop completely. Other than that I only clean the intake tube/impeller and replace the cartridges about every three weeks.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store