is my tank really done cycling?

arowanaking

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 25, 2008
Louisiana
i just got a new 55gal 3 days ago. i put in an old filter from my 24gal thats i think is cycled. (its still having ammonia nitrate and nitrite problems :irked:) anyway i let the tank run for two days then i added 2 oscars to the tank. it has been 24hrs and the oscars are showing no signs of stress at all, but my ammonia in the tank is .5ppm, nitrites 0 and nitrates are a bit under 1.0ppm. i am using test strips. my 24gal has been set up for 5 weeks now and i just started adding fish to it 2 weeks ago. so far it has a clown loach, 2 tetras, 3 barbs, peacock eel, and brown knife fish. i do know it is overstocked but i hope to put the eel and brow knife in when they grow bigger (they are small right now 5-7inches). so my question is: is it okay for my oscars to be living in this tank? and how long will it take untill my levles go down to 0?

input will be greatly appreciated!:D, thanks!

FalconKeeper

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 14, 2008
Tucson, AZ
www.myspace.com
No it's not cycled yet if it was your ammonia and nitrites would read 0 and nothing more. You need to get your Oscars out of there before you do some serious harm to them or kill them. Using a filter from a tank that you "think" is cycled and has only been set up for 5 weeks isn't gonna cut it.

FalconKeeper

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 14, 2008
Tucson, AZ
www.myspace.com
Honestly I don't know I'll let one of the veterans here answer that but I do know that neither of your tanks are properly cycled.

FalconKeeper

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 14, 2008
Tucson, AZ
www.myspace.com
Rule #1 - Never trust Petsmart, Petco....any other big box pet store.... Find a good local fish store that is knowledgable and stick with them.

arowanaking

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 25, 2008
Louisiana
im so mad/sad/depressed..all this hard work on my tank for nothing. now i will have to wait like 3 months untill i can get fish :( :( :( :cry:

Knowdafish

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 12, 2007
Philippines
FalconKeeper;2106742; said:
Rule #1 - Never trust Petsmart, Petco....any other big box pet store.... Find a good local fish store that is knowledgable and stick with them.
:iagree:

jcardona1

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 5, 2007
South of Heaven
what is the filter your transfered over?

arowanaking

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 25, 2008
Louisiana
its just a regular filter..it came from my tank i thought was done cycling (petsmart told me it was) but come to find out im not sure now because my nitrates are 0 nitrites .5 and ammonia 1.0ppm

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store