Astroturf Substrate (A Possibility?)

dominicolas

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 3, 2007
Austin(coolerthanwhereyoulive),Tx
I know it sounds ridiculous, but I'm kind of serious. It's been in the back of my mind for a while. I found some black astroturf that I think would look good in a tank. The fish would like it I think (good for fry I think), and it's dirt cheap. I really don't know much about it though. If it's just made of plastic, I don't forsee many problems because it seems like it's the same material as alot of decorations made for fish tanks. i also think it would be a breeze to clean inside a tank, just run a vac over the surface and your done.

What do you guys think?

Dr Joe

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 8, 2006
Sixty Miles South of Tampa Florida
It off gasses and will rot with time (not intended for constant submersion). Some turf is rather sharp (think fish not you), even uncomfortable to the feet. To dense and not long (tall) enough for fry to appreciate. And it's not that easy to clean.

But interesting to look at if you ran it from the bottom front all the way up the back.

+1 for effort.

Dr Joe

SovietFireExtinguisher

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 22, 2008
Canada
Dr Joe;2106889; said:
It off gasses and will rot with time (not intended for constant submersion). Some turf is rather sharp (think fish not you), even uncomfortable to the feet. To dense and not long (tall) enough for fry to appreciate. And it's not that easy to clean.

But interesting to look at if you ran it from the bottom front all the way up the back.

+1 for effort.

Dr Joe

I agree, you would kill your fish when it started to leach chemicals like chloride and others used in the making of the rubber matting.

chesterthehero

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 20, 2008
corona, ca
id also worry about toxic death bubbles or whatever building up under it

dominicolas

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 3, 2007
Austin(coolerthanwhereyoulive),Tx
SovietFireExtinguisher;2107026; said:
I agree, you would kill your fish when it started to leach chemicals like chloride and others used in the making of the rubber matting.
Oh yeah, I was only thinking of the grass part, I didn't consider what the base was made of.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store