Is Ehfimech a waste of space?

Fry

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Nov 24, 2005
New York
Correct me if I'm wrong but it doesn't seem like Eheim Ehfimech has a lot of surface area or serves much purpose. Is it just a cheap space filler?

It is claimed that Ehfimech traps coarse waste particles and disperses water evenly for subsequent layers, wouldn't a simple sponge or a few stacked sponges work better and have more surface area?

I'm thinking about getting rid of the Ehfimech in my Eheim 2217 and either use more filter pads or Ehfisubstrat Pro. Currently I have Ehfimech on the very bottom, sponges, then 2L of Ehfisubstrat Pro.

Please let me know what you think.

Thanks in advance.

Fry

deeda

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 26, 2008
Medina, Ohio
I don't consider it a "cheap space filler". Whenever I clean mine, I always find the larger debris caught in the bottom 1/3 of the canisters. I would think replacing it with sponges or pads would cause your filter to plug up sooner & reduce your flow.

Fry

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Nov 24, 2005
New York
Thanks for your helpful response deeda.

But I wonder if it would be a good idea to use Azoo Bio-Glass in it's place. These have a similar hollow cylindrical shape and are meant to house bacteria.

Bderick67

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 18, 2006
Colorado
I think that if you clean you clean you canister filters often(once a month) then the ehfimech is not needed. What it does is suspend larger particles, which keeps you foam sponges from clogging sooner then necessary.

I would not put biomedia before mechanical media. This will result in your biomedia getting filthy, reducing it effectivness.

Try your 2217 without and see how much sooner it looses flow volume. If it doesn't seem to loose any by the time you would regularly clean, then you have the extra space for biomedia.

Mattyou

Piranha
MFK Member
Mar 12, 2007
Jax Fla.
dirtyblacksocks;2109405; said:
I'd pretty much trust any claims Eheim makes, they've probably got the best reputation in the business for just about everything they produce...
Can't help but agree.:iagree:

deeda

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 26, 2008
Medina, Ohio
I agree. Mechanical filtration before biomedia to lessen clogging your biomedia.

brianp

Candiru
MFK Member
Oct 5, 2007
Fremont, CA
Use ceramic rings to keep debris out of your...uh, ceramic rings? I wouldn't do it this way, regardless of what Eheim recommends. Foam pad(s), then a polyester microfiltration pad and then the biomedia has served me very well (not in an Eheim, however).

WyldFya

Baryancistrus demantoides
MFK Member
Dec 23, 2005
Moscow, ID
brianp;2115702;2115702 said:
Use ceramic rings to keep debris out of your...uh, ceramic rings? I wouldn't do it this way, regardless of what Eheim recommends. Foam pad(s), then a polyester microfiltration pad and then the biomedia has served me very well (not in an Eheim, however).
That method will cause far higher clogging rates. Ehfimech is ceramic, ehfisubstrat pro is sintered glass.

WyldFya

Baryancistrus demantoides
MFK Member
Dec 23, 2005
Moscow, ID
dirtyblacksocks;2109405;2109405 said:
I'd pretty much trust any claims Eheim makes, they've probably got the best reputation in the business for just about everything they produce...
Their aquaball, and Liberty filters are both sub-par.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store