what size pump will I need?????

daveolejnik

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 30, 2007
pelican lake wi
Im switching all my tanks to run trough a hydroponics set-up in my basement. Right now I have 3 90 gal. tanks on the 1st floor with all the filtration running into the basement. Im using several smaller pumps at this time. But after repluming everything through a hydroponics set-up and then going through a filtration setup also at the end I would like 1 large pump that could pump enough water for the 3 90 gal. tanks. Ive been planning this for a while now and I prittty much have everything except the pump, and the lighting for the hydro set-up. I want to be able to bypass the hydro set up if needed. Im going to start out small. I think Im only going to have 2 10ft. rows. going each way. I just dont want to get to small of a pump. I was looking at a quite one 16000 pump wich pumps 4,232 gals. and has a 19 ft head height. Do you think this pump will be suitable for the 3 tanks?? The tanks are all directly above were the pump will be. 1 floor up aprox. 11 ft. I may eventually ad a larger tank so Im kind of planning on getting a bigger one then a really need at the moment. Also I am running a drip set-up 1 gal/pr.hr on all 3 tanks. Do you think I will have to ad more water to make up for water evaporation, or do you think this will cover it??? Also do you think I will have any problems with water condensation in my basement? Right now I have no problems but Im wondering If I will after I run the hydro isles with all the open water. Im planning on taking pictures and welcome any advice. Im new to hydroponics, and Ive been wanting to do this for the last 2 years. I finally have most of the stuff I need and Im ready to start the project.

Dr Joe

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 8, 2006
Sixty Miles South of Tampa Florida
1q) Do you think this pump will be suitable for the 3 tanks?? The tanks are all directly above were the pump will be. 1 floor up aprox. 11 ft.

1a) It will give you about 2000g @ 15' (Top of the tank) after the filter and hydro resistances are taken into account. More than enough. Problems arise that you may be flowing too much thru the hydroponics beds.

1B) What style hydro system are you using? And what are you growing?

2q) Also I am running a drip set-up 1 gal/pr.hr on all 3 tanks. Do you think I will have to ad more water to make up for water evaporation, or do you think this will cover it???

2a) Evaporation depends on humidity level in the basement to start with, but you also have to account for plant uptake and respiration.

3q) Also do you think I will have any problems with water condensation in my basement? Right now I have no problems but Im wondering If I will after I run the hydro isles with all the open water.

3a) I refer back to 2a & 1b. Depending on design, some evaporation can be minimized.

Using rain gutters?

Dr Joe

daveolejnik

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 30, 2007
pelican lake wi
I think Im going to use rain gutters. I have a friend who installs them so I can have all I need for free. Otherwise I was going to check to see how large of pvc I can get and cut the top of it. I was thinking that might be easier for the fittings on the ends, and corners then using rain gutters. I am going to have valves before each gutter/ pvc so I can control the flow going into the hydro set-up. Im going to have a 55 gallon plastic barrel mounted up by the ceiling were all 3 tanks drain into. Then I will have the hydro set-up coming out from the bottom with valves to control the flow. I will then have a overflow 3/4 of the way up the barrel that goes through the filtration set-up just in case I cant flow enough water through it. Everything will be gravity fed then until the water goes through the hydo-set up and filtration into the sump. I want to have it so I can eventually add on if I want to, or shut the hydro off if I want also. Right now Im using 3 quite one 9000 pumps wich work great, but I want to cut down to 1 pump for pluming and space reasons.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store