New to Dats...help

islander671

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
I recently got a Siamese Tiger..is it normal for him to just wait around for feeders? Should i be concerned that he doesnt pursue his meal? or is this how they normally eat? He eats alot, but he waits for the feeder to come to him. He shows no interest in prepared food.
he also tends to rest slighlty tilted to one side. He was ordered online and had a really bad trip getting here. He almost didnt make it. Ive researched what i could but couldnt find any real answers. Can any one help? Thanks

piranha45

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Mar 30, 2005
kay
Don't feed him feeder goldfish, they are unhealthy and a bad staple diet for any predatory fish. Consider feeding him guppies if they are cheap and readily available to you, but otherwise I'd let the guy starve for a week or three until he breaks down and eats market shrimp and cut piece of fish fillet, wouldn't hurt to try pellets first either...

M|L

the asian
MFK Member
Mar 29, 2005
MY LITTLE WORLD
www.facebook.com
He's a new fish so he's still adjusting to the new tank; and he's still shy.

This is a normal behavior, as long as he's eating, he should be fine.

Once he get over his shyness and fear, you can start feeding him shrimp or other foods (however, I almost never heard of tigers eating pellets or any such prepared foods).

rayman45

Team Rayman
MFK Member
Mar 30, 2005
staten island new york

islander671

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
piranha45 said:
Don't feed him feeder goldfish, they are unhealthy and a bad staple diet for any predatory fish. Consider feeding him guppies if they are cheap and readily available to you, but otherwise I'd let the guy starve for a week or three until he breaks down and eats market shrimp and cut piece of fish fillet, wouldn't hurt to try pellets first either...
Yea I stay away from goldfish. i didnt know they were unhealthy though, i just didnt like the mess they made after being eaten. My tiger normally feeds on rosy reds or ghost shrimp. but I can only get them in small sizes so he has to eat alot of them. takes him forever to eat because he wont come out of his cave. the rosy red has to wander near him before he eats it.

islander671

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Phatboy said:
He's a new fish so he's still adjusting to the new tank; and he's still shy.

This is a normal behavior, as long as he's eating, he should be fine.

Once he get over his shyness and fear, you can start feeding him shrimp or other foods (however, I almost never heard of tigers eating pellets or any such prepared foods).
Yea he needs to stop being shy, he shares a 75 G with an 9" Clown knife (plan to move the clown to a 125 G when i get back from deployment) the knife eats most of what comes into the tank because the tiger wont leave his cave, which by the way, used to be the clown knifes cave until i introduced the Tiger and he kicked the clown out. hehe.

Steve_89

NISMO
MFK Member
Mar 30, 2005
?
This is normal behaviour like the others have said.

You might find that as soon as you turn the lights out he becomes very active??

Try and get your dat onto prawns or shrimp like the others said.

DW about the slanting. Its normal aswell.

ahlex

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 19, 2005
Singapore
give e new guy some time to adjust to e new environment... as for feeding, try to feed it after abt a week... siamese tigers r hardy fishes... so nt to worry too much... give it enough care n e rite conditions n u will be rewarded with its potential display of colours...

RockyGoldy

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 6, 2005
Singapore
If you wan it to be less frightened of the new environment, try putting a driftwood (bogwood) in the tank so that the Dat can hide in there...

it will then slowly wean into feeding..by darting out from the hiding place..feed and darting back again....in about a week..it should be free swimming in your tank.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store