Bead filters

viking252200

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jul 29, 2007
Tokyo,Japan
What's the deal with these filters?

I know that they are meant for ponds, but since we MFK's often have pond sized tanks:D, i was wondering if they hold any advantage over a sump or the canister filters we normally use?

frasertheking

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Feb 17, 2007
scotland
if you have the space it should be great , massive bio area and easy ceaning with a hose. i do not see any other problems.

justin guest

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 6, 2008
Australia
They´re a bit weak when it comes to fine mechanical filtration. you may need another filter to polish the water. Be careful of the models with automatic cleaning options as the valves sometimes get stuck and empty your system.
j<><

nfored

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Apr 4, 2008
Missouri
frasertheking;2111136; said:
if you have the space it should be great , massive bio area and easy ceaning with a hose. i do not see any other problems.

Holly dead BB batman, if you use a hose to clean your biomedia, and your using city water, you will have dead bb and then dead fish:WHOA:

benzjamin13

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MFK Member
Sep 12, 2005
Los Angeles, CA
Yup...one of my lfs uses 3-4 to filter their tanks.

jcardona1

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 5, 2007
South of Heaven
bead filters are awesome, i have a huge one on my pond and its crystal clear. but i think somebody mentioned on here that water clarity is VERY different when vieweing from up top as compared to looking straight through a glass wall.

you will need something more fine mechanical filtration

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store