Plant Filtration

meghanashley

Candiru
MFK Member
Jul 15, 2008
NJ
I want to implement this in a 20g that will be for a couple panda cory and neons. Currently it's a grow out tank for an ornate bichir. I've done some research on it just wanted to get some input from people who have done this successfully and with which plants

cassharper

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 16, 2007
Mansfield, Texas
I'll just say this: not very effective. Maybe if you are using a 20g as a refuge for a 55g. It can help, but it's extremely tough to implement. I used to have a leiden style 10g (extremely high plants, high rate of photosynthesis, low water changes, and exporting excess nutrients and waste via plant clippings) and it's long term stability was questionable. Plus, I could never see the fish because it was COMPLETELY packed with plants.

If you're going with this idea, the general idea is the more the plants grow, the better they are a filtration. Using nitrogen to fuel photosynthesis will naturally draw more from the water. Higher lighting (i.e. sun) and more micro and macro nutrients (i.e. fertilizer) will allow them to do this at a faster rate. Also, some plants are better suited, such as the faster growing ones like cabomba, anachris, foxtail, etc. If you layer it right, with short plants medium, and tall: you will be able to get more out of it.

The lower the light requirement of the plant, the more it will get out of high lighting. A neat thing to watch is just throw a sprig of anachris in your tank (don't even plant) and watch it grow! Kinda like those pills that turned into sponge animals when you put them in water.

cchhcc

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 31, 2006
Virginia Beach, VA USA
cassharper;2116813; said:
I'll just say this: not very effective. Maybe if you are using a 20g as a refuge for a 55g. It can help, but it's extremely tough to implement. I used to have a leiden style 10g (extremely high plants, high rate of photosynthesis, low water changes, and exporting excess nutrients and waste via plant clippings) and it's long term stability was questionable. Plus, I could never see the fish because it was COMPLETELY packed with plants.

If you're going with this idea, the general idea is the more the plants grow, the better they are a filtration. Using nitrogen to fuel photosynthesis will naturally draw more from the water. Higher lighting (i.e. sun) and more micro and macro nutrients (i.e. fertilizer) will allow them to do this at a faster rate. Also, some plants are better suited, such as the faster growing ones like cabomba, anachris, foxtail, etc. If you layer it right, with short plants medium, and tall: you will be able to get more out of it.

The lower the light requirement of the plant, the more it will get out of high lighting. A neat thing to watch is just throw a sprig of anachris in your tank (don't even plant) and watch it grow! Kinda like those pills that turned into sponge animals when you put them in water.
Good post for sure!

My experiences are similar. For a small tank with any fish over just a couple of inches in length (and then just a few of those maximum), the idea isn't really plausible. It can work to a degree if managed well with small fish though.

I've had success with small tanks populated with just a pair of apistos, a couple of cories, and four or five tetras. The fast growing plants noted above work well, and the addition of duckweed really makes a difference. It gets t the point that you will have to harvest the plants though (especially the duckweed).

In larger situation, water hyacinth can really do a job on organic compounds!

WyldFya

Baryancistrus demantoides
MFK Member
Dec 23, 2005
Moscow, ID
It can be done, and can be done quite easily. However, it does take a good bit of experience. My 135 with discus can be maintained without a filter for nearly 3 weeks. Proper choice of plants, and very good observation of nutrients is important.

HarleyK

Canister Man
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Aug 17, 2005
USA
Howdy,

I have a 15 gal with 1 Macropodus and 4-5 Garras. Heavily planted (Vallisneria, Crypt, Anubias). My "filter" basically only circulates water to prevent stagnancy. Water changes once per year. Been like that since 2004. Same fish.

HarleyK

Fry

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Nov 24, 2005
New York
I have been running this experiment on a 10 gallon for the past few months.

The fish are all about 1", heavily fed once a day:
-2 Bleeding Heart Tetras
-1 Trilineatus Cory Cat
-6 Feeder Goldfish (it's cruel I know but I will move them to my 55 gallon when they get 2-3 inches and they are growing fast)

The plants:
-3 Large Lucky Bamboo, between 3 and 4ft long - only the roots and lower portion of the stems are in the water. They get a little sunlight in the afternoon and fluorescent light from the ceiling lamp every evening.
-4 small to medium Banana Plants, they are growing slowly but steadily, the lighting inside the tank is by a single 18" 15w ColorMax bulb at 6500k on for 12 hours a day.

The substrate is 15 pounds of fine gravel

Filtration is a Hagen AquaClear 50 Power Filter with 1 sponge and 2 bags of biomax.

No heater and the temperature stays between 76 and 82.

Before adding the lucky bamboo, my nitrates were at 20ppm every 2 weeks and I did a 50% water change every 2 weeks. Now my nitrates only reach 20ppm every 4 weeks and that's when I perform a 50% water change, I do top off the water every week though.

meghanashley

Candiru
MFK Member
Jul 15, 2008
NJ
I had a tank for 5 or 6 years heavily planted, with no filter and no regular water changes just replacement of water with no loss of fish..... however this was before I did water tests. It is quite possible that my fish were just extremely tolerant of poor water conditions (if mollies can live water containing high levels of sulfuric acid, it makes you wonder how deplorable water conditions really must be for them to die as a cause of not being able to acclimate themselves to it). That tank contained guppies mollies and cories, so I'm not sure I will do this while my bichir is putting on the few inches and lbs he needs so he can stand his ground can ground with the big guys in my larger tank. I will wait till I can try it with smaller species. Thanks for all the input especially the plant suggestions. I have to say that I am always impressed with the wealth of knowledge that I find from the members of this website. Thanks again

srikamaraja

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 14, 2007
Vernon, CT
I'm not too keen on a 'freshwater refugium' idea, but with regular water changes, maintenance, and low light, java moss can reduce your dissolved nitrogen levels.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store