giant catfish? (I mean GIANT.)

Bottomfeeder

Dovii
MFK Member
Aug 4, 2008
Land of the flea and home of the whopper.
not my article. from an espn blog. it sez april fool's day at the end because it was posted on april 1st. Please help me authenticatify ;) this article.
Photo Proves Giant Catfish Story Is Not A Myth — posted April 1, 2008

The photograph above, captured one year ago today by a U.S. Army Corps of Engineers AFD (Automatic Foto Drone) at a dive site on the Mississippi River, proves what many people have been saying for years: enormous catfishsome weighing hundreds of poundslive in the deep, dark waters swirling below many of America's large dams. The incredible photo, shown here for the first time, is one of a series shot by the high-tech surveillance camera. It was taken while divers worked to repair damage to an underwater pipeline below Melvin Price Lock and Dam at East Alton, Illinois. Ironically, this is the same area in which Illinois angler Tim Pruitt landed a 124-pound world-record blue catfish on May 21, 2005.

"The AFD shoots a continuous series of photographs — one every two minutes — to document work at each site," said ACE spokesmen Sidd Finch. "This particular series, taken on the 1st of April last year, was being examined recently by engineer G.O. Welles when he noticed the huge fish behind the diver in this single frame. The diver, Theodore Hook of Cardiff, New York, said he was totally unaware he had been this close to a fish that was probably big enough to have swallowed him. But he claims he and other divers have seen gigantic fish like this before."
According to Charles Piltdown with the Regional Underseas Studies Endeavor, the fish in the photograph appears to be a flathead catfish (Pylodictis olivaris), but the fuzzy nature of the picture makes it impossible to determine for sure.
"Barbels, or whiskers, are clearly evident on the fish," the ichthyologist reported, "which tells us for sure it's some type of catfish. And by comparing the fish's dimensions to the size of known objects in the photograph, we were able to estimate its length at approximately 105 inches and its weigh at around 700 pounds. This is quite possibly the largest catfish ever documented, larger even than the 646-pound Mekong giant catfish captured in northern Thailand in 2005. It may be a new species, previously undescribed."
Since the early 1940s, when hydroelectric and flood-control dams started springing up around the country, divers working around these structures have reported seeing incredibly large catfish, including some so enormous the divers refused to go back underwater because they feared the consequences of encounters with these huge creatures.
"I've seen some catfish I knew were twice my size, and I've seen them while diving at 16 dam sites in six different states," said George Hull, an experienced diver who works for Freshwater Research and Underwater Development. "But telling people you've seen them is like saying you saw the Loch Ness monster or a UFO. No one believes you, so after a while, you figure you're better off if you don't discuss what you've seen.
"I'm just glad someone has finally proven the existence of these fish," he continued. "And because it was a government agency that found the evidence, it will definitely be indisputable. Maybe now people will believe what divers like me have been saying for nearly half a century — there are fish out there big enough to eat people, and the fact that someone hasn't been hurt by them already is nothing short of a miracle."
Trained biologists like myself have always dismissed encounters such as Hulls' as nothing more than figments of the divers' imaginations. But hardcore evidence like this photograph will make it difficult to dispute such sightings, which have been reported from at least 87 dam sites throughout the country. The evidence is clear: something huge is out there — lots of somethings — and it will take the concerted efforts of state and federal authorities to determine what it is.
Unless, of course, some catfisherman like me catches one of these beasts first. I'm heading for the Mississippi River to do some fishing today, and I'm gonna use something big for bait: a Pomeranian perhaps, or maybe some of the stray cats running around my neighborhood. I figure if I tie one to the winch hook on my truck, I ought to have a decent chance of landing anything that bites.
Wish me luck. And by the way, happy April Fool's Day.

RedDevilDon2005

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jul 3, 2006
Lawrenceburg, In
www.myspace.com
i dont know if its true or not, but the divers at markland dam, (ohio river) have said theyve seen shovelnose cats the size of vw bugs behind them gaping there mouth. im pretty sure i would poop myself if iw as to turn around and see that.

radioaktiv

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jul 15, 2008
Dallas, TX
well the pic could just be a case of depth perception

but ive heard the same stories from my grandfather who helped build and service the dam on Greer's Ferry Lake, AR

so either there is some truth to this or its a big joke between dam builders :p

RedDevilDon2005

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jul 3, 2006
Lawrenceburg, In
www.myspace.com
i would think its true, you have to figure all these big cats do is lay and wait for food to pass by them, they never swim up river and they have probably been there for a really long time. they have no reason to swim upriver with food passin right by them all the time. lol.

silverdragon

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 18, 2008
DOWN UNDER!
www.myspace.com
basslover34;2116635; said:
Can anyone else smell it.... :bs: :D

Spell it with me

P

H

O

T

O

S

H

O

P

:grinyes:
:iagree: i remember posting this pic on another thread here and we all agreed this was photoshoped, but thats not to rule out the fact that their could possibly be ]v[onster size catfish out there :D

chrisdef15

Gambusia
MFK Member
Sep 10, 2005
Australia
FAKE. Even its sizes are a joke. 101" or whatever it said is only like 9' That fish looks waaaaaay bigger then that.
Its funny what the media will run with.

sterling_mcdaniel

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 12, 2008
idaho
hahahahahahahahaha.... it looks like it came from national enquire

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store