Setting up new tank!

mattenator

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 13, 2008
Florida
I just bought a 72 gallon bow front for $50 with base. I currently have a 10 gallon tank with 2, convicts, 2 fire mouths, and a pleco. These fish are growing and need more room. I have ordered an AC110 and planning a play sand substrate. I'm going to pull some water from my 10 gal and my buddies 75 gallon to get it running. I'm also going to move over my finless fire mouth so he can heal up or die in the cycle process. I was also thinking of putting in the ac110 one of my friends used media to assist. What do you all think, and suggest? Thanks.

haynchinook334

Giant Snakehead
MFK Member
Feb 14, 2008
\m/(O_o)\m/
should be good. but i would use poolfilter sand....way easier to clean then play sand. IMO.

CHOMPERS

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 28, 2006
Sunnyvale Trailer Park
Neither. When haynchinook334 said pool filter sand would be easier to clean, that was a hint that there is going to be some work involved.

mattenator

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 13, 2008
Florida
I've seen sand cleaning first hand, and it is not that difficult. With the pool filter sand or silica sand, the grains are a bit bigger than play sand which I was going to use. This will be easier to clean. I picked up a 50lb bag today. We will see if it is enough.

andyjs

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Aug 13, 2008
Ohio
I agree about the pool filter sand. Much easier maintenance

mattenator

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 13, 2008
Florida
The tank is full the AC110 is running and I have added about 20 gallons of water from my friends 2 tanks and my 10 gallon. I have also installed a fish called stubby. He is a small fire mouth that has had his pectoral fins eaten off by a convict. My kids have a couple goldfish that are in a bowl, can I add them to help cycle or are they not worth the water they swim in. I will move over the rest of my convicts when the tank completes it's cycle.

mattenator

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 13, 2008
Florida
synodontisjack that is my plan. The 72 gal is my new tank and the 10 goes to the kids and home for the goldfish. I have 2 Convicts, 2 fire mouths, and a pleco in the 10 right now that are anxious for there new home. Just needs to cycle. I'm thinking of just moving them and watching the ammonia levels and do water changes as necessary. I find I'm not a patient person.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store