lighting question for reef tank...

1SiCk Mk3

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 1, 2008
orlando fl
i have a nova extreme t5 ho fixture with 2x54 watts...now the fixture came with a 10k bulb and a 6700k bulb for fresh water plant growth...but im moving all my plants to a bigger tank and wont be using it anymore...this is on a 55 gal...was thinking of trying my first salt tank..will 2 watts per gal with the right bulbs grow some decent coral??...also wat bulbs should i get??...leave the 10k and get a actinic??...thanks guys

JGoslee

Candiru
MFK Member
Sep 23, 2005
Philadelphia,PA
You could grow a few low light corals but 2-54watt t5's on a 55gal isn't much light at all. If your looking to start a reef tank I would either add some metal halides or add more t5's. If it were me I would go with 2-250watt halides with 2-54watt t5's.

sweeTang21

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 10, 2007
Wisconsin
as stated above, you will need more light. the unit you have is not a very good unit for corals. Softies will probably do fine but if your interested in having anything more then that you will really want to consider a better HO unit, with more bulbs and individual reflectors. This will not cost a ton and you will get a lot better bang for your buck. id say to shoot for a 6 bulb unit either from sunlight tek or even the nova PRO series. both would be in the 400 dollar range. if you can swing that, thats what id do. Hope all goes well

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store