Status
Not open for further replies.

gar man

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 9, 2008
iowa
how to raise lmb

tank size:50 gallong fish tank at least but preferable a 75 gallon fish tank.

diet:will accept most live foods but prefer minnows and goldfish will eat worms.

substrate:small lmb prefer several hiding spots but larger lmb like open space. fish rocks will work good for ground cover.

temperment:will get along with most thing but green sunfish will attack them so they r best not kept togather.these are what ive had before with them:channel catfish,croppie,bluegill,and bullhead.

additional info:tank is best kept sealed because larger ones will try to jump out to try to get food.

r3d

Gambusia
MFK Member
May 5, 2008
[|x_O|]
Ive raised LMB to 3 inches before it got killed by bad water conditions but i agree with everything you posted. mine got along great with smaller crawfish and smaller bluegill
mine was a pig loved eating market shrimp, and hikari gold cichlid pellets, and FD bloodworms

gar man

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 9, 2008
iowa
ignore the post by jd and i forgot to say that you can raise them in a 30 gal for a year but then they outgrow the tank ty for ur opinion r3d!

Venom SS

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Aug 14, 2008
Texas
I raised one once from about 4 inches to almost 2ft long. They do well in water with low Ph ( 5.5-6.5 ) and maintain your tank temp at about 78ish. I used crushed coral mixed in with regular filter media type gravel as my substrate, to add some salinity, but balanced out the effects of the salt in the water with drift wood. Simple under gravel filtration with a penguin powerhead on each uplift tube. He stayed happy as a clam for almost 2 years, had him eating out of my hands within the first month of owning him. Eventually traded him to a LFS for their display tank for some nice store credit. He eventually was traded to Bass Pro Shops and was put into their huge 15,000 gallon display tank in Grapevine Texas. Awesome fun fish to keep.

gar man

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 9, 2008
iowa
nice info venom! keep the facts coming ppl so we can help ppl who r new to raising lmb!

Miguel

Ole Dawg
MFK Member
Dec 28, 2006
Very much south..
I keep several, 2 in teh 5 inch range, 2 in the 8 inch range and 1 in the 12 inch range. The 4 smaller ones were initiated with bloodworms, krill and frozen silversides. After a month I started throwing in ( the term is meant ) aro pellets ( floating ) previously soaked so that the pellets hardness doesn't taste strange to them. They are on a roll.

The bigger one might not make it though.....only chases live....

ewurm

Aimara
MFK Member
Jan 27, 2006
A 75 will not hold an adult LMB. These fish will get well past 18", the depth of a 75. Mine ate large crayfish. Wouldn't tolerate any tankmates, including sunfish.

Status
Not open for further replies.
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store