Baffleless Sump

dennisdeng2002

Candiru
MFK Member
Aug 13, 2008
Maryland
Well I'm having trouble with baffles (wasn't leak proof and turned out GE silicone 1 kitchen and bath is not for aquariums) so I've been contemplating a baffleless sump. I'm only using a 10 gallon and I was thinking just have the overflow hose over some filter pads and next to that is some ehfilav and biomax and then the return pump. Think that would work? Plus I haven't tried yet but i plan to tommorow but how do you remove the silicone?

Dr Joe

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 8, 2006
Sixty Miles South of Tampa Florida
Use a filter sock as the pre-filter.

Use a razor blade to remove the silicone from the glass.

chesterthehero

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 20, 2008
corona, ca
you can do it a few ways

1 - use a hole saw/dremel/rotozip to cut a hole in some plexi and mount the sock in the hole (they have a rubber ring around the edge)

2 - ziptie the sock to the overflow

3 - use the "mesh" style filtersocks (think basketball shorts) .. they filter out the "big" stuff

chesterthehero

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 20, 2008
corona, ca
also... the GE1 stuff is the window and door kind

cchhcc

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 31, 2006
Virginia Beach, VA USA
You can use a plastic storage drawer set for your prefilter and bio. The top drawer is filled with floss, etc. while the other drawers are filled with bio-media. Just drill a bunch of holes in the bottom of the drawers and a hole in the top for the drain from the tank.

dennisdeng2002

Candiru
MFK Member
Aug 13, 2008
Maryland
Bump and also because this is my hospital tank if a fish does get sick could I just turn off the pumps and instantly convert it?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store