Confused with P14 and it's trade name

Temujin

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 1, 2008
Xishuangbanna
Hi ,
I am a novice of stingray and I would like to know what is the difference between Galaxy and Royal Galaxy ,could anyone out there be kind enough to post the pics.? please.

Where can I buy them with the size at 4" to 5" ? please advise. Thanks

Kevaldo

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jun 4, 2007
England
the more spots the higher the price, Royal Galaxy just has better spotting than a Galaxy, and a Galaxy has better spotting than a normal P14, they just give them these fancy name's to get a higher price. As for where to buy them in asia im sure one of the asian guy's from the forum can help you.

rayman

Candiru
MFK Member
Nov 18, 2005
Germany
First time the name Galaxy was used by a german LFS for the Itaituba (P14) rays with additional small spots between the larger spots. Here is the link showing a pic of this first Galaxy (this ray is now in USA, hi Mike):

http://www.amazon-exotic-import.de/Gallerie/Rochen/Seiten/Potamotrygon%20spec.%20P%2014%20var.%20Galaxy.htm

Where the name Galaxy Royal was first used is not clear. I remember when Frank and Nico came in my cellar and saw Tess they spontanous said "Wow, a Galaxy Royal".
You all know Tess from my pictures, here is a new picture of her:

Tess has some large spots (the bigger ones have eye diameter), so you could say Galaxy Royal are Itaituba ray with many and large spots. (But be aware, leopoldi x itaituba hybrids show these large spots too, but Tess is pure blood)

The term Galaxy Royal is even used for Itaituba ray with many small spots, like the one royalray has:

But nothing is set in stone. Maybe we should count the dots ;)

normal Itaituba < 400 dots
Itaituba Galaxy 400 - 600 dots
Itaituba Galaxy Royal > 600 dots

btw. Tess has > 800 dots

csx4236

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 25, 2006
USA
Hello Andreas, Here is a pictures of those Galaxy rays that I imported these pictures are from June I will get updated today. In the last few months they have really started to get jet black. The female is 16-18" and the male is 14-15". What do you think ROYAL or not?

TFH pictures 140.JPG

TFH pictures 151.JPG

Temujin

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 1, 2008
Xishuangbanna
Thanks everyone for the kind information and pictures,that means the more spots the higher grade it is.I reckon this is a hot strain that many hobbyists are after,we will see how it improve in the near future. Thanks again.

Nic

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Oct 8, 2005
outside philly
never heard of royal before.... but they are some really nice p14

andersp90

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Apr 11, 2007
Denmark
csx4236;2147444; said:
Hello Andreas, Here is a pictures of those Galaxy rays that I imported these pictures are from June I will get updated today. In the last few months they have really started to get jet black. The female is 16-18" and the male is 14-15". What do you think ROYAL or not?
king royal marble dot extra white tripple black nice ass P14s..... :ROFL:

SovietFireExtinguisher

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 22, 2008
Canada
csx4236, are you breeding those Rays in the picture? I don't know if or when, but I would really like to purchase one when the time comes. I have been trying to find some P14 for a while. I know that they generally don't get as big as Leopoldis and are just as if not more beautiful in my opinion.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store