Why do Arowanas yawn?

Darren87_Sg

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 17, 2008
Singapore
Hey just curious why do Aros yawn?I've been rearing Aros for more than 6 years already.but i still dont understand why it yawn sometimes. i caught mine yawning the last time when i was changing water for it. didnt managed to get a pic though,quite rare to see it yawn.need to sit and watch it for a couple of hours to see it yawn. here's a pic of one i took of someone's page.( http://adila1982.tripod.com/ )

Is it cuz they r sleepy?

Mobatic

Fire Eel
MFK Member
May 11, 2008
I dont know i just think its cuz they dont have enough air or its just like a stretch like how alot of animal does bus fish yawn instead. Very common in arowana.

xiahaolong168

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 13, 2008
NEW YORK CITY
Darren87_Sg;2147758; said:
Hey just curious why do Aros yawn?I've been rearing Aros for more than 6 years already.but i still dont understand why it yawn sometimes. i caught mine yawning the last time when i was changing water for it. didnt managed to get a pic though,quite rare to see it yawn.need to sit and watch it for a couple of hours to see it yawn. here's a pic of one i took of someone's page.( http://adila1982.tripod.com/ )

Is it cuz they r sleepy?

I've always wanted to know too!:help2:

jlnguyen74

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Mar 26, 2007
United Species of Arowana
Not just arowana. Other fish yawn.. Do you yawn? Why do you yawn? :D

basslover34

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Sep 3, 2007
Montreal
In humans the actual reason for Yawning has to do with our bodies turning up or down our level of alertness, in Fish it is beleived to be similar however there are various "yawns" that give off different responces i.e. Most wish will "yawn" to blow extra water through their gills to clean them, this is also beleived to happen to provide extra O2 to the gills (which in turn can raise their level of awareness).

Reactions: Kawika

Onion01

Polypterus
MFK Member
Aug 8, 2007
Miami
basslover34;2148969; said:
In humans the actual reason for Yawning has to do with our bodies turning up or down our level of alertness, in Fish it is beleived to be similar however there are various "yawns" that give off different responces i.e. Most wish will "yawn" to blow extra water through their gills to clean them, this is also beleived to happen to provide extra O2 to the gills (which in turn can raise their level of awareness).
this is partially true. We yawn because of low levels of gas in our lungs. This can cause 2 problems. 1) our autonomous breathing is based on a feedback loop dependent on levels of CO2 in our lungs. Low levels=no autonomous breathing=danger of asphyxiating. 2) Low amounts of gas can collapse our lungs if the walls are allowed to touch

I'm not sure how this applies to fish

basslover34

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Sep 3, 2007
Montreal
Onion01;2148998; said:
this is partially true. We yawn because of low levels of gas in our lungs. This can cause 2 problems. 1) our autonomous breathing is based on a feedback loop dependent on levels of CO2 in our lungs. Low levels=no autonomous breathing=danger of asphyxiating. 2) Low amounts of gas can collapse our lungs if the walls are allowed to touch

I'm not sure how this applies to fish
seriously if you want to get into the tech of it... :grinyes: I was trying my best to make it as simple as possible as the K.I.S.S method is usually the best one on here since you never know who is reading along (I.E. kids)

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store