Largemouth hybrid?

andres

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 21, 2008
Hmmm?
Last weekend I caught what I thought was a pumpkin seed or some kind of sunfish. After taking a closer look at the guy, he looks like his body is similar to a sunfish, but he has the head of a largemouth. Does some sort of hybrid occur naturally?

I may be completely wrong on the ID, I can put pics up later.

JD7.62

Dovii
MFK Member
Sep 13, 2005
at the 'Bama Breeze
Probably would be better in the fishing forum.

My guess is that its either a green sunfish or rock bass. Both fish have "sunfish type" bodies but have large heads and mouths.

For the record some black bass do hybridize naturally, usually spottedxsmallmouths.

andres

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 21, 2008
Hmmm?
Theres no way for me to move the thread is there? Does a mod have to do it?

Anyways, I caught a few green sunfish with this guy and his head / mouth are much larger for sure. I guess I just really need pics.

EDIT* He does look like a rockbass, but a friend of mine said it was not. Hes much more familiar with natives than me, but that does not mean hes right.

Camphilophus

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 11, 2008
Howell, Michigan
JPlikewoah;2148544; said:
Yep, they are common. These are called "rock bass".
no, its a hybrid not a rockbass.

heres the only decent picture I have of one I caught, the rest are cell phone quality.

there are hundreds of them in my girlfriends natural pond, I'll get some better pictures next time I go fishing.

JD7.62

Dovii
MFK Member
Sep 13, 2005
at the 'Bama Breeze
Camphilophus;2148683; said:
no, its a hybrid not a rockbass.

heres the only decent picture I have of one I caught, the rest are cell phone quality.

there are hundreds of them in my girlfriends natural pond, I'll get some better pictures next time I go fishing.
Crappy or not can you post more pictures?!

YOOPER

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 18, 2006
Da U.P.
Was it this?

nc.water.usgs.gov/.../images/Green.sunfish.jpg

Green sunfish.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store