Am I overstocked?

xiahaolong168

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 13, 2008
NEW YORK CITY
I have a 125 gallon fishtank with 2 aquaclear 110s, and 1 eheim proII, I change 75% of water every 1-1 1/2 week and I have the following fish:

(2) red texas 4-5"
(3) festae 2-3"
(1) jk flowerhorn 3-4"
(1) low-grade flowerhorn 4-5"
(7) red blood parrots 3"
(1) mammon 6"
(1) common pleco 4"

am i overstocked?:help2:

jimmybling31

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 1, 2008
hixson tennessee
yeah i think so not certain though. more filtration would be good

thefishguy7

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 19, 2007
When larger, you will likely run into some aggression issues. It would be wise to take out all 3 festae and 2 of the parrots when larger. Your set as far as bio-load is concerned. Adding another filter never hurt though. I'd also switch your water change schedule to a few smaller (20-40%) 2x a week rather than so much once a week. Hope this helps!

xiahaolong168

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 13, 2008
NEW YORK CITY
o ok thanks rob. but i really cant keep the festae? I really love them and their gold/red color. I am thinking about removing all 7 red blood parrots.

selki

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Aug 20, 2008
Hawaii
btw flowerhorns are pretty aggressive for cichlids...when they get bigger im sure they will murk ur other fishes..

rallysman

Polypterus
MFK Member
Aug 7, 2005
indiana
First off, test the water to see if your water change routine is working. Right now I'd say you're ok, but you will more than likely have to thin the stock in the future for aggression and size reasons.

thefishguy7

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 19, 2007
xiahaolong168;2150721; said:
o ok thanks rob. but i really cant keep the festae? I really love them and their gold/red color. I am thinking about removing all 7 red blood parrots.
Just give me the festae, problem solved.:D You can expect most of the inhabitants to get over a foot and neither the red texas nor the festae will tolerate much else in that size tank when full grown. Aggression should be your main concern as of now. Keep us posted......

Combo's I'd say would work:
Option1:
m/f festae pair
common pleco

Option2:
Red texas
4 parrots
common pleco
*female fh

Option3:
Red texas you bought from me
*female fh
common pleco

Option4:
JK fh
4 parrots
common pleco
*female fh

Option5:
7 blood parrots
mammon
common pleco

Just ditch the low grade fh or stuff you really don't want when larger. Aggressive cichlids do not mix well with anything, not even inanimate objects-lighters, lids, rocks, etc....

Fry

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Nov 24, 2005
New York
The bio-load may be ok for now, but you should check if your water change schedule is working as rallysman said.

The bio-load will definitely be over the top 1 year from now unless you perform or have automatic massive water changes.

In terms of aggression. I think all of these fish may work together "JDM" style due to "controlled overcrowding", but it always depends on the particular fishes. Try not to feed live or raw fleshy foods to encourage aggressive habits.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store