Different appearance of Leopordi p13

royalray

Candiru
MFK Member
May 21, 2008
Under the hot sun
The topic of grading a p14 is very interesting, although it is not official regconised yet, but is a good discussion. may be will be a official standard in future.

Describtion by Andreas is really good and appropriate. I am sure very soon we will have a ray show. then those criteria or standard will be very good reference in for use as judging criteria..... but i am sure no judge will start counting during the show. hehehe....

We have covered the topic about P14, can we do the same for P13? and also other type?

Let do it on P13. I have some of my own opinion as grading, pls see below:

1. Number of spot, Normal Grade = less than 30 spot, Grade A = 30 to 50 spot, Super = 50 spot and above.

2. Spot appearance at side sidc, 1 roll, 2 roll and to the edge

3. Under disc spot.

4. size of spot

5. Shape of spot, Ring, Donut, eclipse type, etc.

We have the few name of different type of appearance on leo,

1. Leo (normal grade)
- have less then 30 spot, no spot at disc side, no spot under disc. ussually small spot.

2. Eclipse
- Have 50 spot and above, have 1 roll spot on the disc side, no spot under disc, donut or ring type of spot, generally bigger spot.

3. Royal Diamond
- have 50 spot and above, have 2 roll spot at disc side, with spot under disc, donut or ring type of spot, bigger spot size than eclipse.

4. Black Diamond
- Have 50 spot and above, minimum 2 roll spot at disc side and spot to the disc edge. present small spot around the larger spot. extremely white spot color and completely black base.

above is only my own opinion.

any inputs? need a objective opinion from experts on Leo.

and need some photo also to illustrate. post your leo photo and tell us what type should be belong to.

csx4236

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 25, 2006
USA
I dont think we need to break leopoldi down into so many groups and start calling nice looking leopoldi BLACK DIAMOND. Also ECLIPSE has nothing to do with amount of spots, it's about the spot developing a black center or ECLIPSE marking and that will not happen till rays matures so can't start calling pups eclipse till the rays are older. At the moment all the pups we produce have more then 50 spots and most seem to have around 70-100 at birth easily so are they all ROYAL DIAMOND or BLACK DIAMOND I don't think so.

leo pups june 14 005.JPG

DSC00017.JPG

royalray

Candiru
MFK Member
May 21, 2008
Under the hot sun
Royal Leopard is the name called by Asian people to differentiate the spot quality of the leoporldi, the same like black diamond that are found in Japan. they are somehow different in spot presentation. i was told that Black Diamond and eclipse both are exist in the wild. if you see the price list from Brazil, they group them into eclipse and black diamond too. this probably explain that the special characteristic of different leo exist in nature at certain area.

the same like discus, we have 4 main type established by welknown people such as Brown, Green, Blue, Heckel. From each of this, such as brown, it exist Currepurra, alanquer, Nhamunda.... etc.

So to have a different type/strain of ray is also logical. we have see some leo with very few small spot from wild, also getting eclipse spot type from wild, may be some of this is from a different river system. I was told also there is 2 type of p14 exit in the wild also.

Mike, you are right that is difficult to classify the eclipse leo when they are small, however the breeder should know and the pup still need to be grade. nobody will sell the leo with 50 spot above same price with the leo with only 20-30 spot. some of the spot is not truely showing white spot might dissappear as they grow up. I have got some leo pup that the breeder told me is eclipse, you can see the ring and donut spot type at 12-13cm, and they grow up to have more and more eclipse spot.

If those leo pup from your pup is with underdisc spot, then is possible to be royal leo, else should be grade as eclipse leo or Grade A Leo. the name is not important, may be you can call it grade A and grade B, but obviously the quality is different compare to some few spot leo.

i put below few photo of different type of leo for reference. the first few photo is all the leo i have bought with different price range. and the last photo is the black diamond photo not belongs to me, just use it for reference.

so with such big different in spot and color quality, that's why i think we need a standard grading for all ray.

all is only my opinion, i am not an expert in ray, so may be someone can shade some light here. ;-)

Marco Leo1.JPG

Special Leo male 15-16cm.jpg

Ray 011.jpg

Eclipse P13 (10).JPG

Leoporldi p13 (1).JPG

vamptrev

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 23, 2007
Chesterfield MI
last pic just looks like a leo/p14 hybrid. is this what is concidered a black diamond?

Nic

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Oct 8, 2005
outside philly
i think that many levels of leo is rediculous.... some are nicer than others but seriously is the market that hell bent on making them higher priced than they need to be... kinda sad when you thin about it....

with that grading scale how much does the price go up each time... and ill say all but BD can come from same litter of pups....

Kevaldo

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jun 4, 2007
England
Nic;2153114; said:
i think that many levels of leo is rediculous.... some are nicer than others but seriously is the market that hell bent on making them higher priced than they need to be... kinda sad when you thin about it....

with that grading scale how much does the price go up each time... and ill say all but BD can come from same litter of pups....
i agree with you there Nic.

i dont think a grading system will ever work, new name's wil keep on appearing all the time.

fugupuff

M.A.N. Community Vendor
Community Vendor
MFK Member
Mar 14, 2005
Fish Heaven
Kevaldo;2153546; said:
i agree with you there Nic.

i dont think a grading system will ever work, new name's wil keep on appearing all the time.
true, but then why have different grades of diamonds? they all look about the same from the naked eye even. a vvs and a p would have a price tag of 10x or more.

same with designer clothes vs. walmart brand, all serve the same function.

rolex vs. timex
morton's vs. sizzler
porsche vs. volvo

just like why is a p14 so much more expensive than a super nice marble motoro?

siluk

Gambusia
MFK Member
Sep 28, 2007
UK
fugupuff;2153743; said:
true, but then why have different grades of diamonds? they all look about the same from the naked eye even. a vvs and a p would have a price tag of 10x or more.

rolex vs. timex
morton's vs. sizzler
porsche vs. volvo

Agree:)

Nic

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Oct 8, 2005
outside philly
fugupuff;2153743; said:

rolex vs. timex
morton's vs. sizzler
porsche vs. volvo

P14 look nothing like marbled maybe you mean pearl?

but as i said if a female births 8 pups she can have 3 of those grades in them... wich is BS imo.... a leo is a leo to me.... only difference is BD... to have a grading system on natural differences for money is BS and sad... now the asian SP rays yes they are worth more money but to charge per amount of spots is kinda sad and funny

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store