What Should I Do

truck_317

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 11, 2008
State College PA
I got a 55 gallon complete tank setup a month ago from petco. I have did one water change in that time peroid and put new filters in it. the only problem is that i can see stuff floating in the tank. Do I need to get a better filter for it or what, and if i do whats a good kind of filter to get to it. I was think of using the one that came with the new tank and adding a my other filter from my 29 gallon tank to clear up me 55 gallon.

Knowdafish

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 12, 2007
Philippines
What filter did you get with it? What kind of floating stuff?

truck_317

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 11, 2008
State College PA
its a aqueon filter that came with the tank i will work on a model number for u and the stuff thats floating looks like really little white pieces and i also put in extra carbon and i still have the fishy smell in the tank

andyjs

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Aug 13, 2008
Ohio
So you got the tank, set it up, waited a little bit then added fish? If this is the case, you're probably still going through the cycle building up beneficial bacteria to remove ammonia and nitrite from the water. What fish do you have in the tank?

truck_317

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 11, 2008
State College PA
i set the tank up and i wainted 3 days then i put the fish in. i have 2 silver dollars one is 3 inch and the other is 2. i have one yellow lab that is about 1.5 in long a blue dolphin that is the same size 1 small bolbarium ram 2 other small cichlids 2 rainbow cichlids that are about 4 in a piece 1 5in alege eater and 5 other small fish thats around 1in long

hybridtheoryd16

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Nov 28, 2007
kentucky
Wow all that in a uncycled 55g tank. You need to get a test kit immmediatly for ammonia at least and nitrite and nitrate would help a ton. Your tank has zero biological filtration and you allready have it over stocked with fish. I will go ahead and let you know to do as many water changes as it takes to get that ammonia back down. Like 1-2 50% changes a day. And go ahead and put 3/4ths of those fish in your 29g tank so that they wont die. As long as the 29 is cycled and running. Your next thread may very well be about a dead fish or 8.

hybridtheoryd16

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Nov 28, 2007
kentucky
Do you realize you have 15 fish in a 55 gallon aquarium.

chesterthehero

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 20, 2008
corona, ca
you are going to want to move some of those fish out asap to lessen the bioload till you get your tank cycled... its safe to say that doing a 40% waterchange right now would be a good idea... once you are done with that do some seaching on how to cycle a tank... running the tank for a few days with no fish it it just got you use to the sound of running water...

15 fish in a 55 is not a bad thing... the lack of cycling and under filtration however are going to make this go less than well..

ive got 29 fish in a 55 (8 are over 4", 1 8" pleco/poopmachine) however theres also a 20 gallon sump attached to it with somewhere around 14 gallons of media (0, 0, 20.. weekly 25 gallon waterchange)

byeung

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 24, 2008
Henderson, NV
I would go to pet smart and buy a bottle of seachem stability and pour a few doses of that every day i do it with all my new tanks and so far no problems. But, yea definitely move some of those fish out of there for right now.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store