cycling a saltwater

paOol

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 26, 2005
Fish Land
I heard that a good/easy way to cycle a saltwater tank is to drop in a piece of raw shrimp, and just let it rot.

is this good advice or not?
also, should the live rock be added BEFORE or AFTER the shrimp is in?

thanks.

EDIT: wrong place, can someone move to saltwater.

water_baby83

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 30, 2006
UnDeR tHe SeA
www.myspace.com
LOL, "let it rot" huh, LOl. Some people would tell you "sure go ahead", but IMO, allowing something to rot in your tank just to speed up the nit. cycle, is not only gross, but can have adverse effects. Some would say that because the decaying shrimp would cause a spike in ammonia, it would in turn speed the reproduction of the two types of bacteria responsible for this cycle(Nitrosomonas and Nitrobacter), making the cycle overall, faster. I dunno if this is the best way. The simplest way to explain the Nitrogen cycle, is that there are two major types of bacteria (listed above), which convert chemicals in the water, into less harmfull substances, over time, evening out the levels. Nitrosomonas bacteria use ammonia as a food source, and convert it into nitrite. Then Nitrobacter bacteria use the nitrite for food and convert it to a far less toxic compund - nitrate.

Adding a dead and decaying piece of meat to an unpopulated tank may work to speed up the ammonia levels, and help move things along quicker. But faster isn't always better. waiting, and allowing the bacteria to grow at a slower pace (a normal pace), is best IMO as this allows the chemical levels to go through their natural spikes and lows, reinforcing the basic chemical structures of biological filtration. By simply adding live rock, and live sand, you can naturally speed this process, as these are naturally jam packed with beneficial bacterias, and help filter the water as well. Do what you want, but I wouldn't put something to rot in my tank if you paid me!!:grinno:

--EMI

DeLgAdO

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 1, 2005
Chula Vista, CA (San Diego)
www.myspace.com
water_baby83 said:
LOL, "let it rot" huh, LOl. Some people would tell you "sure go ahead", but IMO, allowing something to rot in your tank just to speed up the nit. cycle, is not only gross, but can have adverse effects. Some would say that because the decaying shrimp would cause a spike in ammonia, it would in turn speed the reproduction of the two types of bacteria responsible for this cycle(Nitrosomonas and Nitrobacter), making the cycle overall, faster. I dunno if this is the best way. The simplest way to explain the Nitrogen cycle, is that there are two major types of bacteria (listed above), which convert chemicals in the water, into less harmfull substances, over time, evening out the levels. Nitrosomonas bacteria use ammonia as a food source, and convert it into nitrite. Then Nitrobacter bacteria use the nitrite for food and convert it to a far less toxic compund - nitrate.

Adding a dead and decaying piece of meat to an unpopulated tank may work to speed up the ammonia levels, and help move things along quicker. But faster isn't always better. waiting, and allowing the bacteria to grow at a slower pace (a normal pace), is best IMO as this allows the chemical levels to go through their natural spikes and lows, reinforcing the basic chemical structures of biological filtration. By simply adding live rock, and live sand, you can naturally speed this process, as these are naturally jam packed with beneficial bacterias, and help filter the water as well. Do what you want, but I wouldn't put something to rot in my tank if you paid me!!:grinno:

--EMI
:clap :clap :clap

ogre929

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 25, 2005
England
I used to add fish to tanks that I set up that day or the next day. Add live rock that's cycled and you're good to go. However this is a touchy process sometimes. gotta make sure the live rock doesn't have anything dying on it anymore. Not reccomended to the newbie.

Vince

Most Wanted
MFK Member
Jul 4, 2005
Illegal
www.wofc.org
Used to be that to cycle a saltwater tank, damsel fish were used. But some people thought that was inhumane, ergo, the use of raw shrimp to decay, and form ammonia. Also, add live rocks, and live sand to aid in the cycling process. You will need three items to complete the cycle, and those are, the test kits for ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate, for saltwater. You will defnitely need these to test your water. Usually, four weeks completes the cycle of saltwater tank. Some longer, depending on size. Also, if you are buying live rocks from anywhere, make sure that there is no foul smell emanating from the live rock. How big is the tank, what filtration are you using, and what are you planning on keeping?

Miles

Stingray King
MFK Member
Jul 2, 2005
Spokane, WA
The shrimp method is proven effective, it's called 'Fishless' Cycling. Likely the safest way to Cycle a tank without killing your fish or destroying your Live Rock.

You can use Live Rock to cycle your tank as well. It's because when the Live Rock is first placed in the tank it has alot of dead organisms that will also rot in your water. This causes an ammonia spike, and then the live-rock regrows it's beneficial bacteria. Most live rock, and live sand, will retain a good amount of beneficial bacteria when you first place it in the tank. However, you are bound to have an ammonia spike from organisms that died from the transfer. This is the faster method, as beneficial bacterias are being placed directly into the tank. The raw shrimp method is a much slower process, as the bacteria has no colony in which to begin multiplying.

If you don't intend on using Live-Rock, and plan to use a power filter for you biological filtration (not reccomended), then by far the safest way to cycle your tank is the raw shrimp method.

The combination of all 3 seem to work fast for a very quick cycle, but patience is the key to a nice saltwater setup.

Princley

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 19, 2006
us
anything that strikes a ammonia leval will aid in the cycle, i find the a natural cycle if best i have had my reef since 1983 and it has travled to 5 states... to each his own if it work do it
i would not use the way

mainy999

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 4, 2006
Pennsylvania
I used damsels to cycle my saltwater. I've heard of the shrimp method, but almost everyone I know has used live rock/sand and some sort of damsel.

Pangong_ilong

I want one too !
MFK Member
Oct 10, 2005
Fresh Meadow, NY
My lfs recommended me to use live rock. He said that i don't need to cycle my tank cuz the live rock got the bb already. So i can add how many fish i want. Is this true?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store