Gar and pangasius compatibility

newlove4fish

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 19, 2007
Toronto,Ontario-Canada
I have a 75 gal with your typical footprint of 4ft by 18in with an 8 inch pangasius sanitwongsei catfish in it. We put 12 goldfish in with it for 6 days and it did not eat one and actually seemed stressed out by them. Needless to say I "adopted" 12 gold fish into my 47gal tall tank as pets wondering what the hell to do with them. One week later my husband decides to purchase a 6 inch florida gar to put in the tank with the pangasius because he seems to be such a suck and we thought he must have been raised on non-live food. well once we get the gar in the tank.... mr suck turns into jaws!! He got the gar about half way into his mouth!! I told my husband to put some goldfish in to distract the situation and make another target other than eachother. Since then the pangasius has been nudging the gar and taking the occasional nip at him. I know that he could not eat him but I am worried about the stress level of the gar. He has rested at the bottom and swam all around not show many signs of stress just yet and he is eating fine. We put a piece of plastic pipe in there thinking the gar may want to hide in it but after 24hrs he has not showed any interest in it. Should I be worried or will they get used to eachother? We have not kept the lights off completely yet because the pangasius goes into serious hunt mode then. It has been 5days and I would like to think I can leave them with the lights off eventually.
help!!

ettfettbranamn

Polypterus
MFK Member
Nov 26, 2007
sweden

city_of_evil6661

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 21, 2008
gainesville ga
gar and catfish arent good tankmates. gars arent the type of fish that like to hide either.

newlove4fish

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 19, 2007
Toronto,Ontario-Canada
Thanks all for their reply. Yes I am aware of thier size . I know I need at least a 250 gal for the gar and most favourably a pond for the pangasius.. This is all in the plan. for the mean time they have now been transfererred to a 90 gal bow front How long do you think I have? donot forget the pangasius us just 8 inches and the gar is 6.

ermgravy

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jun 1, 2007
behind my iMac.... Southampton UK.
that pag picture is tiny! they get MASSIVE u planing a private lake???? even if u get to a point where u can tank them together, the pag is so active they annoy gar to hell the gar will get ticked off with it and tear chunks... if the pag dont get the gar first....

what id do is off load the pag!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store