thinking of getting a ray...

1SiCk Mk3

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 1, 2008
orlando fl
i have a 180 and im planning a ray in the near future...now i know rays require lots of filteration and the right substrate...but how about other fish??...i have silver aro and 2 pacu's...the pacu's are going in a pond and the silver would stay...might trow in some cichla down the road....would this be ok"??....ive seen plenty of tanks with both ray and fish with no problem...and since the aro is always up top i think it would even be less of a problem...??...also the tank has pool sand right now as substrate...would this be ok..?..?...tank has a sump and dual over flow's but i think i might add a fx5...so what do u guys think???..get the ray or no??...i really like em...just a lil scared since it would be my first

ewurm

Aimara
MFK Member
Jan 27, 2006
I agree with Bruce. The pacu is messy, and they get too massive. Also, they startle easily. That type of bioload could pose problems.

Nic

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Oct 8, 2005
outside philly
1SiCk Mk3;2168596; said:
i have a 180 and im planning a ray in the near future...now i know rays require lots of filteration and the right substrate...but how about other fish??...i have silver aro and 2 pacu's...the pacu's are going in a pond and the silver would stay...might trow in some cichla down the road....would this be ok"??....ive seen plenty of tanks with both ray and fish with no problem...and since the aro is always up top i think it would even be less of a problem...??...also the tank has pool sand right now as substrate...would this be ok..?..?...tank has a sump and dual over flow's but i think i might add a fx5...so what do u guys think???..get the ray or no??...i really like em...just a lil scared since it would be my first
pacu should be removed.... silver aro wont pose a problem top dwelling fish... might have to throw a few extra bits of food or use a tube to get food down to the ray.... make sure sand is not too deep.. potential for disk rot can be a problem if sand is real deep and not kept clean... what size sump do you have and how much bio media??? you could always add some submerged media at first before adding a canister filter...

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store