Just bought new 75 gallon..question

dcwallace

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 5, 2008
Arlington, va
Just picked up a deal on craigslist, 75 bucks for a 75 gallon tank with stand, top, lights, and a few other items. Tank was fairly dirty when I got it so I cleaned it out this evening with hot water and a little baking soda. I noticed a couple small scratches on the inside of the tank, I think they had a small turtle in there for a period of time, nothing that looks major though. It also looks as though the tank was resealed and it looks solid. After cleaning it up I filled it about 95 percent full and came back an hour later to find no leaks or water loss. This is only the 3rd tank I have had so I am far from an expert, but would most of you reseal the tank just to be sure or would you fill it up and just keep an eye on it once I have added fish?

Thanks for the replies.

koop171

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Feb 1, 2008
ohio
Set it up in an area that can get wet if it leaks. Just add water NO FISH and let it set for a few days. if it don't leak then it more then likly won't.

The only real time that you would need to reseal a resealed tank is if the person who resealed it just got lazy and resealed over top of the old silicone. THAT WON'T HOLD.

johnptc

Feeder Fish
Apr 6, 2005
los angeles
www.fishtankwebcam.com
koop171;2170414; said:
Set it up in an area that can get wet if it leaks. Just add water NO FISH and let it set for a few days. if it don't leak then it more then likly won't.

The only real time that you would need to reseal a resealed tank is if the person who resealed it just got lazy and resealed over top of the old silicone. THAT WON'T HOLD.

sounds like good advice :)

Pharaoh

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MFK Member
Feb 18, 2008
Indianapolis
The post by Koop about says it all. Fill it up, if it holds, you should be fine. Just check for cracks and fracured on the top plastice piece and tank brace.. This could lead to failure as well.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store