Cabinet problem

vxd

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 1, 2007
Australia
Hi All,

I just got a 4ft cabinet made from a local tank builder, I've stained and varnished it. I picked up the tank yesterday and noticed tank wasn't resting on the cabinet properly, the left and right side isn't touching the cabinet but the middle of the tank is. I have a piece of polystyrene under the tank. The gap is less than 1cm.

I called the builder today and he told me that once the water is in the weight of the tank should level everything. I asked him if he can sands the 2 pieces in the middle down but he said if he sands it down and the tank level once water is in the middle bits would be uneven.

Whats your opinion on this?

I've marked the middle bits, I'm not sure what their called.

TwistedPenguin

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jan 21, 2008
Oklahoma
I think he's wrong and doesn't want to screw with it. We went through the same exact thing when we built a stand for a 150 g tank. It needs to be completely level-period. The way it is now it's going to put uneven pressure on the tank joints and seams and you run a real risk of the tank breaking. Styrofoam or no styrofoam I'm really surprised he expects you to 'live with' the stand the way it is. He just needs to go over it with a belt sander and get it perfectly planar. He knows that but he's hoping you don't.

Pharaoh

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MFK Member
Feb 18, 2008
Indianapolis
Be carefule in this situation. I have built quite a few cabinets in my day. There is a chance that the stand may just be a little off. Find a surface that you know for a fact is level. Then put the stand on it. If the stand is unlevel or twisted in any way, then it would be safe to say that it is unlevel.

The problem is that wood is never completely straight. Some pieces might be more bowed than others. You could try to put weight on the stand, say, two people on each end and see if it levels out. If it doesn't move with two people on it, then it probably won't with a tank on it.

PatrickTheArowana

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 27, 2008
Illinios
Pharaoh;2171894; said:
Be carefule in this situation. I have built quite a few cabinets in my day. There is a chance that the stand may just be a little off. Find a surface that you know for a fact is level. Then put the stand on it. If the stand is unlevel or twisted in any way, then it would be safe to say that it is unlevel.

The problem is that wood is never completely straight. Some pieces might be more bowed than others. You could try to put weight on the stand, say, two people on each end and see if it levels out. If it doesn't move with two people on it, then it probably won't with a tank on it.

Yeah it could be off in other areas.If those two boards are what's pushing the middle up then just tap them with a hammer.If there are screws holding them in place,then you may have to loosen them before tapping.

But it may be the vertical boards in the middle which the cabinet doors are attached to that are the problem.They may be cut to long,and are pushing the horizontal board up in the middle of the stand.

Does your level rock on both the front and back side of the stand?

Those reinforced 2x4s at the top don't appear to have any vertical support boards??

vxd

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 1, 2007
Australia
I've checked the tank and the stand again and it appears to be the polystyrenes that was uneven not the stand. It's a relief

Thanks Guys

Vu

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store