Anyone else have problems re-starting aquaclear filters?

bluegryffin

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 25, 2008
fort collins, colorado
I just threw out the 20gallon Aquaclear filter we had on one of our goldfish tanks becuase everytime we unplugged it, it refused to re-start, even after taking i apart and washing it, plugging it in and unplugging it over and over again. . . So we got a 20gallon aqueon. Aqueons seem SUPER reliable, they just don't make a large/heavy duty one. Anyone else?

Knowdafish

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 12, 2007
Philippines
No problems as long as the AC is full of water!

bigspizz

Polypterus
MFK Member
Apr 20, 2007
Sounds like a dirty impeller... ALL of my AC products have trouble restarting, if my impeller is overly dirty...

hybridtheoryd16

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Nov 28, 2007
kentucky
I have had this problem with AC after they got some mileage on them. And it was my main reason I switched to emperor 5 or so years ago.

Fry

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Nov 24, 2005
New York
I've had a similar problem with my AC50 when the power had stopped and it ran dry for a day. The next few times I unplugged it, I had to thoroughly clean it before it could be restarted the next morning. It works fine now.

My AC500 never had that problem but the root of the problem is that ACs will not start back up by itself after the power has been out and the water has all escaped into the tank. My Whispers never had this problem, the water in them never flowed back into the tank.

cassharper

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 16, 2007
Mansfield, Texas
this seems odd to me, the only 2 HOB's I've use that I haven't had a problem with are AC and marineland. Guess it's just luck of the draw.

kperkin1

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 19, 2008
mint hill, nc
i had a problem with my AC filter before. it wouldn't start even when i tried everything i could think of. i finally just took the whole thing a part and cleaned the inside of the motor (or at least as far as the Q-tip would swipe.) finally it started.

bluegryffin

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 25, 2008
fort collins, colorado
That's the only way it worked for me too. But what a pain in the @$$ to do that every time you have to unplug it. I'm asking because I may get that cheap deal on an AC110 from drsfostersmith, but if that's how it's going to be, then forget it.

mojo2776

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jan 2, 2008
Louisiana
I've never had these problems with AC's. I'm currently using an ac110 and ac70, and mine have always started back up on their own after power outages. Make sure it's full of water before you start it back up. Oh, and I clean the impellers about every 1-2 months whether they need it or not.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store