Ammonia test kit question..

Mudfrog

Piranha
MFK Member
Oct 3, 2005
VA
I have the API test kit that includes two bottles of solution. It says to add 8 drops of each to 5ml of water and allow 5 minutes before checking. I do this and according to the test the tank I'm cycling has 0 ammonia, but I left the water in the test tube and after 25 min or so it was showing a small amount of amonia.. light green instead of yellow. So would you think it's no ammonia or a small amount of ammonia? I would think none but then why would it change after an additional 20 min? And yes.. I would be a sucky chemist :D

Knowdafish

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 12, 2007
Philippines
5 min. is MINIMUM. A little longer is better. You allowed it to react longer with the reagent by waiting 25 min. I would say you have a slight amount of ammonia.

Mudfrog

Piranha
MFK Member
Oct 3, 2005
VA
Knowdafish;2173854; said:
5 min. is MINIMUM. A little longer is better. You allowed it to react longer with the reagent by waiting 25 min. I would say you have a slight amount of ammonia.
Ah ok.. it didn't specify that 5 min was minimum, just said 5 min. I'll keep that in mind :headbang2

chesterthehero

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 20, 2008
corona, ca
i read somewhere that readings are accurate between 5-10 minutes.. anything after that is "possiably" inaccurate...
i could have read something that was wrong though..

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store