Does fish poop clog up pipes?

daveman12345

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 17, 2008
la
Hi, I like to siphon my water into the drain in my shower and some times sink. I was wondering if all of the poop, which some times are collected together and are thick, will build and clog up the pipes in my apartment? Alternatively, I can easily siphon the water into a net, and throw out the poop from the net. That is just a slight inconvenience, and I would only do it if it was absolutely necessary. Thanks.

cassharper

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 16, 2007
Mansfield, Texas
no, it's mass is usually low enough (unless you are keeping some behemoth) that the continuous flow of water will flush it into the wastewater outlet.

chesterthehero

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 20, 2008
corona, ca
well.. it could..

do you use the shower?... if so dont worry about it..

if you are that worried about it... im pretty sure your toilet is right next to the shower.. thats where i put my poop so im pretty sure it would work for fish as well

daveman12345

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 17, 2008
la
chesterthehero;2174798; said:
well.. it could..

do you use the shower?... if so dont worry about it..

if you are that worried about it... im pretty sure your toilet is right next to the shower.. thats where i put my poop so im pretty sure it would work for fish as well
thanks, i did notice when i net the poop and run hot water into it, it disintegrates into a powder. i originally thought the poop would turn into sludge, but i guess not. i don't put it in the toilet b/c some times the toilet splashes, and..... yeah you get the idea. thanks for the tips though, i appreciate it!

Sanjo Eel

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 20, 2008
OH
Fish crap won't, but GRAVEL will! Even if you are careful you are going to suck up some gravel and over time this could become a drain clogger. Use a strainer or something to catch the small pieces before they make it down the drain

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store