can't find a clear answer through search

jizon82

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 20, 2007
outside
first i wanna say i've searched through as much as could stand using search engine. i love the look of pool filter sand and just wanted to know if it every get's crystal clear. even after super rinsing. thanks for help.

jizon82

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 20, 2007
outside
the reason i ask is that i have a friend who has tried it, looked good, but he complained about it being cloudy after water changes. so he switched to 3m color quartz. which i use to but want and like the look of pfs.

Dr Joe

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 8, 2006
Sixty Miles South of Tampa Florida
PFS will always cloud up four an hour or so after you stir it up, but it does settle.

jizon82

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 20, 2007
outside
thanks for you help. not sure what i'm gonna use now., pfs or 3m color quartz.
like the look of pfs but the cloudiness just bugs me. with 3m nice colors but not as natural looking, gotta buy alot of diff colors to make it look somewhat natural.

reptileguy2727

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 12, 2005
Northern Virginia
I use Estes' Marine Sand which I think is just a treated 3M sand so that it doesn't leach silicates into the water. It requires no cleaning, does not cause toxic anoxic pockets, and stays down and sinks quickly to avoid problems with filters. It comes in many colors. I use a black and white mix, but solid black looks great on a black background and really gets their colors looking good.

CHOMPERS

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 28, 2006
Sunnyvale Trailer Park
Pool filter sand will not cloud the water if you can muster up the patients to clean it well. I had to rinse mine 12-15 times to get it perfectly clean. However, after regurgitating this information for at least two years, I have yet to see a single person actually take the time to do this.

chesterthehero

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 20, 2008
corona, ca
for what its worth i rinsed a 50lb bag in under 20 minutes.. within an hour the tank was clear...

tylerperkins

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 10, 2008
wi
50lbs of play sand at the depot is only $3 and if you take 20-30 min to clean it it wont cloud water much if at all and it looks as natural as you could get

jizon82

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 20, 2007
outside
CHOMPERS;2180377; said:
Pool filter sand will not cloud the water if you can muster up the patients to clean it well. I had to rinse mine 12-15 times to get it perfectly clean. However, after regurgitating this information for at least two years, I have yet to see a single person actually take the time to do this.
i actually took the time to clean a quart of pfs by washing it about 6-8 times then boiling it at least 3-5 times, changing the water in between of course, yet it still seem cloudy in a glass cup with water compared to 3m in the same glass cup.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store