white fur on mopani wood in aquarium

sargie

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 6, 2008
uk
i have just turned the light on this morning and there is a white fur/slime type coating on my mopani wood it is no were else in the aquarium does anyone know what it could be i can post a pic if that would help.

Lupin

Viviendo la vida loca!
MFK Member
Do you have pics of the wood? Are you sure it is mopani? It sounds like fungus to me.

sargie

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 6, 2008
uk
Lupin;2175809; said:
Do you have pics of the wood? Are you sure it is mopani? It sounds like fungus to me.
yeah it is definatly mopani wood i bought it from my local aquatics shop and it was with loads of other bits of mopani wood of various sizes and prices but all with the same mopani wood lable on.

sargie

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 6, 2008
uk
polish;2176148; said:
I got that on 1/5 pieces I've bought, I just took it out and scrubbed it. It came back twice but after that never again. The fish didn't seem to care.
ah ok cheers polish ive done a bit of research and apparently it's harmless to fish and will eventualy just go. Also it is supposed to be common for pieces that have been soaked left to dry soaked and then put in an aqaurium.

dirtyblacksocks

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jan 25, 2008
Moreno Valley
Normal occurence and harmless, if you leave it in it should disappear in a bit - or you can sun bleach the wood for a few weeks on your roof.

sargie

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 6, 2008
uk
amazinbg its already started to dissapear so it looks like it will be gone almost as quicklt as it appeared :)

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store