Fluval Fx5 vs Wet/Dry

ironmunki

Gambusia
MFK Member
Oct 23, 2007
maryland
I'm seriously thinking about replacing the wet/dry on my 300 gal with a Fluval fx5 or two. The major reasons for this is are the noise and electricity. I have the 300 in my dining room (across from a completely silent fluval filtered 150) and noise from the water and the pump is driving us crazy. Not to mention I've noticed the pepco bill is significantly larger since the wet/dry has been running.

What do you guys think? Has anyone here every used a fx5 on a drilled tank? Its an acrylic tank can't/don't want to drape the cords up over the back of the tank. Would rather just plug the overflows and use the two holes located in upper back portion of the tank. Just trying to figure out if anyone here ahs tried this.

reptileguy2727

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 12, 2005
Northern Virginia
Overflows generally require a sump where the water level varies (which it does not in the tank), which the FX5 cannot function as. So using the holes and overflows exactly as they are setup for a wet/dry will not work. As soon as the water level dropped from evaporation (possibly before that) air could get into the overflows, into the FX5, and then impede flow or cause the pump to burnout. I thik two FX5 would be a great option, but without modifications to your wet/dry they would need to be run as designed, with their hoses going over the top of the tank.

ironmunki

Gambusia
MFK Member
Oct 23, 2007
maryland
I don't plan on using the overflows at all if I go the fx5 route. The overflows only allow me an inch of space between the water and top of the tank. I'd like to have my water level down about 4 or 5 inches below the top of the tank. the two hole drilled in back of the tank I would use to connect to the fx5. two more would need to be drilled if I added a second fx5 which may not be necessary as I'm only planning on keeping 2, 3 max fish in that tank. the holes drilled in back of the tank are connecting to my pump right now. i want to just switch them so they connect to the fx5.

reptileguy2727

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 12, 2005
Northern Virginia
Are you wanting to use bulkheads with those holes and connect the hoses to the bulkheads? If so you would need to use different tubing than the one provided with the FX5 because it is kink-free and therefore cannot provide a seal.

What fish are you planning on?

ironmunki

Gambusia
MFK Member
Oct 23, 2007
maryland
i would like to use the same hose i have connected to my pump on the fx5. i already know there is a seal there and if the hose can fit the fluval, the only challenge will be connecting the intake filter inside the tank.

Sever0n

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 16, 2007
Duluth
what model pump do you have on the wet dry and did you use a durso stand pipe on the overflow? Maybe just a change in hardware will limit the noise caused by your system.

ironmunki

Gambusia
MFK Member
Oct 23, 2007
maryland
i don't know the model of pump off hand. i was told it was pretty quiet for a pump though. i'll check when i get home. yes, i have durso standpipes in the overflows and that has greatly decreased the waterfall i was hearing before.

Sever0n

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 16, 2007
Duluth
I'd check and see if you can find an ehiem pump for the return or a sequence pump. Or if you're really heavy in the pockets a red dragon pump ;) but that would be overkill

ironmunki

Gambusia
MFK Member
Oct 23, 2007
maryland
red dragon? hahaha....aren't those like $600-$900? nah, i don't think so. i'll look into the others though.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store