New To African Cichlids

evojoey

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jul 31, 2008
Turnersville, South Jersey
Hey everyone. I'm in the process of getting rid of all my SA/CA cichlids and I'm going african. My wife likes "pretty colors", so out with the oscars and in with the, well "pretty colors". I have a 265 gal. tank and need some stocking suggestions. Currently I am running 2 FX-5's, 2 Eheim 2117's and 2 Koralia 4's in there as well. So filtration is not a problem. I want to go with Malawi species. Any suggestions and or species info would be great as I am a rookie in the world of african cichlids. Any substrate and rock suggestions would help too. Thanks, Joe

Frostyone

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 21, 2008
Baltimore
A 265 is a big African tank. I'd say a large colony of Frontosa, but besides blue they're not that colorful. Maybe some large Haps, Peacocks.........you could put 30+ in a 265, that would look nice, all males though (they're the colorful ones).

mahemaheman85

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 25, 2008
spokane
evojoey;2181725; said:
Hey everyone. I'm in the process of getting rid of all my SA/CA cichlids and I'm going african. My wife likes "pretty colors", so out with the oscars and in with the, well "pretty colors". I have a 265 gal. tank and need some stocking suggestions. Currently I am running 2 FX-5's, 2 Eheim 2117's and 2 Koralia 4's in there as well. So filtration is not a problem. I want to go with Malawi species. Any suggestions and or species info would be great as I am a rookie in the world of african cichlids. Any substrate and rock suggestions would help too. Thanks, Joe
OOOH you can do some cool stuff with a tank that size, pretty colors lol my gf is the same way, as far as substrate i like to use argonite crushed coral mixed with white sand, the coral helps buffer the ph and helps with nitrates, etc, and from my expeirience mbuna are really good sifters. And as far as a malawi mbuna, i like elongatus cheweres, but it depends on which malawi you want to go with, mbuna, haps, peacocks?

navygirl76

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 6, 2007
Ohio
www.flickr.com
ohhh lord! the possibilities are endless! id go with some large haps (ohhh pretty colors! lol) and some peacocks.. you could get away with alot in that big tank.. check out peacocks,, and some large haps like Venustus (the males are purple, blue and yellow-very beautiful), eye biters, cyrto moori (dolphin), sci fryeri (they are metallicy blue-very beautiful males), foss. rostratus, etc..

here is a great site, and look down this list.. youll see alot of haps get about a foot long.. but for their size, most are not considered that aggressive.. you could really do a great job with a huge tank like that.. im so jealous lol

http://www.cichlid-forum.com/profiles/category.php?cat=1

the best advice i can give you is with haps to get them ALL while they are small and raise all of your fish together.. that way you have a better chance of them not eating eachother and smaller fish (they will cram anything in their mouths) later-they will see them as part of the flock, not as dinner.

evojoey

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jul 31, 2008
I really like the eye biters and Nimbochromis venustus. Can they be kept together? I would like to have a few large species and have a few smaller ones to fill in the gaps. What would you recommend to fill in the tank.

navygirl76

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 6, 2007
Ohio
www.flickr.com
yes, they can be kept together.. with a tank that large you could do with quite a few large haps and peacocks.. although haps are large, and by nature piscovores (eat smaller fish), they are really not that aggressive..

i had a male Venustus-absolutely LOVED him! he was so beautiful. there is also a hap that is blue and looks freckly or glittery.. i cant think of what it is, but ive wanted one forever..... ohh here it is.. Placidochromis sp. "Phenochilus.

this is a breeder i buy from-look at his haps to get an idea of what to buy (not necessarily from him-though he is a great seller!) just to see whats out there..

look at the lithobates, and male red empresses, etc.. i love all of his haps lol.. btw he also sells packages of peacocks and haps mixed.. though if i were you, id hand pick the species you like and find a breeder near you.. i just recommended this guy because ive bought from him alot, and always really pleased with his stock-i get them overnighted..

http://bluegrassaquatics.com/aquatics/cichlids/malawi-inventory/haplochromis.html

just get some good ideas from this guy if youd like..Mel

evojoey

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jul 31, 2008
If I went with eye biter's, Kalingo's, Giraffe Cichlid's (same thing?), Placidochromis sp. "Phenochilus ", red empresses and lemon jakes, what is a good number of each? Should I do 3 of each less, more?

navygirl76

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 6, 2007
Ohio
www.flickr.com
giraffe cichlid is the Venustus lol.. you could order a few of each species-wait to see if you have male or females (the males will have alot more color) and i would try to gear it more towards a male tank. i know that alot of haps (ive never owned peacocks yet) are harem breeders.. like if you had one male venustus he would need about 3 women.. to spread his aggression and not beat down one girl..

also , if you pick 3-4 of each it could lead to a really aggressive tank if you kept them all (then again your tank is huge.. so for a weird reason it may work for you lol)because of breeding and territory issues.. see who colors up nicely and get rid of the rest.. i would try to make it a male only tank...

you could sell the others to a lfs or here.. then again.. for some odd reason it may work out great for you to have a few of each. i know that if you get fish that LOOK the same also (same shape or coloration)that will up the aggression level also-they see that other fish as competition.

go with 3 of each.. and go from there..

Muske

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 14, 2007
Mundelein IL
Heck, a half dozen Yellow labs will cruise around the rocks.

And speaking of rocks, choose smoother round rocks. Some of your fish suggestions will get large and potentially injury themselfs on something like lace rock. I have lace rock now, but an leaning towards a replacement as the fish grow. Sand is a great substrate, but what do you have now?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store