Marbles in fish tank

1300131es

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 29, 2008
CALI
Hi all, I just got a 120 gallon fish tank, I was wondering if I
can substitute gravel with marbles. I like sand but am afraid it will be too much work or mess. I like the consistency or uniform look. would there be any downside marble vs gravel?

nfored

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Apr 4, 2008
Missouri
I would think that it would be harder to gravel vac, and also that you could end up with algae attaching itself to the marbles. however marbles give fry a great place to hid from hungry fish.

chesterthehero

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 20, 2008
corona, ca
other than scratches i dont think it would be a problem..
algae is only an issue if conditions are right for algae (overfeeding and undercleaning)..

fry would LOVE it.. as would snails..

a single layer of marbles would be really rad looking... sort of a barebottom look with texture..

i say go for it and post pics

benzjamin13

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MFK Member
Sep 12, 2005
Los Angeles, CA
It'll be harder to clean...gravel vac won't be able to "fluff" it enough so debris will more likely get stuck. But it'll look nice for a few months:D

dominicolas

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 3, 2007
Austin(coolerthanwhereyoulive),Tx
I think that a gravel vac would do just fine, because the water flow doesn't need to stir up marbels, there is enough room for water to flow between the marbles and pick up dibris. I say go for it, but if their clear marbels light will penetrate and algea will grow where it is hard to manage.

Dr Joe

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 8, 2006
Sixty Miles South of Tampa Florida
Mattyou;2191566; said:
Marbles and or glass beads from the craft store work fine.

The glass 'ice cubes' look good too.

And marbles don't get sucked up the gravel vac (except mine :D).

Dr Joe

Pharaoh

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MFK Member
Feb 18, 2008
Indianapolis
Hard to beat sand in the "easy to clean" category. Try it out and post up some pics after a couple months.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store