Filtration

BarroomHero

Gambusia
MFK Member
Aug 19, 2008
Las Vegas
I am currently running a Rena xp3 along with a AC110.

In the AC110 I am running the sponge along with the biomax ceramic tubes (no carbon right now).

In the XP3 I have the sponges at the bottom, in the middle I have 20 bio-chem stars and 1L of seachem matrix, then in the top I have crushed coral and then the micofiltration pad.

I want to to take the biological material out of the AC110 so I can add another sponge for better mechanical filtration. Will I have enough bio filtration if I do this?

JamesRiggs

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 15, 2008
Huntsville,AL
Why would you do that? I would say the bio filtration is your most important part. The big question is, how many fish do you have and if you remove the bio, will the XP3 be able to handle the new bio load.

BarroomHero

Gambusia
MFK Member
Aug 19, 2008
Las Vegas
JamesRiggs;2185895; said:
Why would you do that? I would say the bio filtration is your most important part. The big question is, how many fish do you have and if you remove the bio, will the XP3 be able to handle the new bio load.
I have a lot of little particles floating around the tank all the time, thats why I am thinking that I need more mechanical filtration. I am not fully stocked yet, but I will have around 14 fish once I am. I dont know if the xp3 will be able to handle the bio-load, thats why I asked. According to the packaging on the bio-chem stars and the seachem matrix there should be enough biological material for a 200gal tank. I am considering running another AC110 and using that one purely for mechanical

djhonda

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 29, 2008
Merrillville,IN
There is a polishing pad for the XP3 and you could add more Bio Stars to that tray. I had two packages of them in one of my XP3s.

BarroomHero

Gambusia
MFK Member
Aug 19, 2008
Las Vegas
djhonda;2185946; said:
There is a polishing pad for the XP3 and you could add more Bio Stars to that tray. I had two packages of them in one of my XP3s.
I am using the polishing pad, the one that has 2 compounds and is green/whit. The middle tray is completely full with 1L of the matrix and 20 of the stars.

djhonda

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 29, 2008
Merrillville,IN
The final filter pad i am using is Solid white and i have zero issues. But i have to clean it often and replace every few months.

BarroomHero

Gambusia
MFK Member
Aug 19, 2008
Las Vegas
djhonda;2185978; said:
The final filter pad i am using is Solid white and i have zero issues. But i have to clean it often and replace every few months.
It came with the solid white one, I bought the other one seperate as it is supposed to polish better than the solid white one.

Pharaoh

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MFK Member
Feb 18, 2008
Indianapolis
I see where you are going with this. If you use 20ppm & 30ppm filter foams in the first tray, then bio media in the second and third try, then you should be able to run only mechanical in your AC110. There will be more than enough bio in your Rena to handle the tank. You could either leave the green/white pad in the XP3 or take it out and just polish with the AC110. Although i recommend leaving it in. Every little bit helps.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store