10gal tank to 55gal+ lots of fancy guppies

imanlyman

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 5, 2007
Montana
HI, Havent been on in a while, and i got a notice that i should post so here it goes. :)

About 6 months ago i started a 10 gallon tank and stocked it with fancy guppies. I started with 3, lost 1 in the cycling process so i bought 2 more females and another male from a different pet store. I now have 50+ that are at least 1" and several dozen more small fry. :)
(with good varying genetics)

Its time to move to a bigger tank! Im setting up a newly aquired 55 gallon. I put about 6 1" in the new tank, and here comes the question:
Should i add the water from a water change out of the 10 gallon tank into the new bigger tank? Would this help cycling? I dont want to take filter material off the smaller tank as I plan on keeping it up as well.
I could add about 5 gallons to the 55 gallon tank.

What do you guys think? I know not exactly a monster setup yet. The guppies were eventually supposed to end up as feeders for a school of piranah, but the wife is trying to talk me into the 55 as a community tank. I was thinking of starting off some piranahs in there... which would of course.. eventually force me into a bigger tank! :grinno:

thisguy87

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Feb 17, 2008
tampa
i would definetely use the old water. it will help out. or you can by this stuff called "cycle" that helps to. use some of the substrate from the ten.

benzjamin13

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MFK Member
Sep 12, 2005
Los Angeles, CA
Yup...use old aquarium water if you got it.

smithj427

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 10, 2008
Edmonton, Canada
I would definetly use the old water. There's no doubt it would speed up the cycle.

I also have a question that I figured I could add to this thread since it also applies. I recently acquired a 33 gal that I'm going to use to breed feeders. I have a betta an I'm wondering if I could throw it in to water before it's even cycled to cycle it because bettas can live in the worst conditions so I figured it would be safe and get the gf off my back whining about how there's no colour.

Oh ya and what are you using to keep the fry from getting eaten??

JeninOK

Gambusia
MFK Member
Mar 30, 2008
oklahoma
You can take your filter media and swish it around into the new tank water, it will make the water look mucky for a day or 2 but will help see the new filter without losing it all in your 10.
Even better buy the filter for your 55 gallon and run it on the 10 gallon for as long as possible, at least a week or so, to seed it before setting up your tank.

imanlyman

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 5, 2007
Montana
smithj427;2195541; said:
Oh ya and what are you using to keep the fry from getting eaten??
I found some glass shards at walmart in the craft isle. They stay nice and loose so i can suck out the poo, but give plenty of hiding place. Im sure a few have been eaten, but i haven't really tried to stop it at all, and ive got guppies comming out of my ears!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store