New air pump, any advice or experience to share?

StiffMeister

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jun 14, 2006
Netherlands
Guys, im looking for a new air pump for my stingray tank. It has to be powerfull yet quite low on energy costs. The most important thing however is that it has to be silent. My tank is in my sleeping/living room (student) and i would like to be able to sleep with the pump on.
Im looking for an output of 40-60L/min.
I was told pumps from Nitto Kohki are good but also read a lot about the Hi Blow or Dong Yang pump series. Any of you got any experience with these pumps? Any other suggestions for brands or types?
Thanks in advance!

justin guest

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 6, 2008
Australia
I doubt if you´ll find a pump with that output that´s quiet enough to have in a bedroom. Only viable option would be a soundproof housing for the pump. Hi blow is top for reliability. Stay away from the chinese pump (Dong Yang). They usually give up after about 12 - 18 months
j<><

Miguel

Ole Dawg
MFK Member
Dec 28, 2006
Very much south..
Haiko, if I had to identify the most magnificent piece of equipement ever bought, it would be thos big chines / Korean airpumps, the big ones that the killy guys use to aerate 50 tanks.

They are work horses, go for years without stopping and make no noise....

Loubard

Fire Eel
MFK Member
May 17, 2005
EU
Miguel;2199166; said:
Haiko, if I had to identify the most magnificent piece of equipement ever bought, it would be thos big chines / Korean airpumps, the big ones that the killy guys use to aerate 50 tanks.

They are work horses, go for years without stopping and make no noise....
Do you have a website link or a brand?? I want one! :D

Miguel

Ole Dawg
MFK Member
Dec 28, 2006
Very much south..
Loubard;2199412; said:
Do you have a website link or a brand?? I want one! :D
I have 2 RESUN airpumps...get all the air I need!! Without noise, without maintenance.

Ask for those that can provide air for more than 10 tanks,

Do not worry. It works with one tank.....

Miguel

Ole Dawg
MFK Member
Dec 28, 2006
Very much south..
Biggest is RESUN LP 60 ( smallest should be RESUN LP 50 or 40 ?)

Anyway, each one gives . They give you air output more than enough ( killy guys connect 50 tanks to each )

They only have one air outlet to wich you connect a piece that looks like a "comb"..My "combs" have then 10 outlets each. You just have to close the outlets you don't need.

No noise. Very low maintenance.

Pharaoh

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MFK Member
Feb 18, 2008
Indianapolis
invisyblegypsey;2199480; said:
i use coralife pumps / mod# CD-25730 Model SL-65 $72.99
http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=3578+3669+14684&pcatid=14684
read the testamonials
I also use a Coralife SL-65, I wouldn't call the thing loud, but it definitely isn't quiet. I don't think I could sleep with it right next to me. Maybe inside a cabinet it wouldn't be too bad.

One thing, it puts out so much air, I can hear the bubbles churning on the 2nd floor, and it is in the basement!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store