How do I Change Gravel Safely?

sabotage

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 17, 2005
Outside Philly
duke33;2194812; said:
All I can tell you is to do it slowly. Someone will know more. Welcome to MFK.
Great answer hilbilly!!!! lol

put the fish in another tank or bucket..Save 1/4 of the water..Then take the stones out..its purdy simple

Bderick67

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 18, 2006
Colorado
Does this tank that you are changing gravel in have and undergravel filter?

Bderick67

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 18, 2006
Colorado
Fatima1917;2195042; said:
No undergravel filter
then it should be no problem. Move the fish if ya can but not necessary I've done it a couple times with fish in place. You can buy a cheap dust pan to remove the old gravel, and if ya drill small holes in the back of the dust pan it will let the water drain out. Make sure you rince the new gravel well, and put it in place with a large cup, better then dumping in all at once.

L.BelcherII

Candiru
MFK Member
Feb 7, 2007
Work
You don't need to move the fish or drain the water at all. Get all the decorations out of the way and use a large fish net to scoop out the stone from the bottom of the tank. You can usually get all of it out pretty easily.

Put the eco complete in a bucket and flush it out really well. Stir it up as much as possible and run the water until it's clear. Then use a cup to scoop up the substrate and then dip the cup as close to the bottom as possible before you dump it out. If your water gets too cloudy, use prefilter on your filter intakes so they don't get clogged.

Fatima1917

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 23, 2005
Marblehead, Ohio
I'm just Worried because, Years ago I remember taking all my gravel out
& puting new stuff in & it cause an eco-unbalance that killed all my fish!

I heard that with eco-complete it would work ok because it already have the benifical bacteria in it???

Would it be safer to just take a little bit of gravel out each week I clean it,
until it's all out?

Also, it's a new tank & only been set up for 2 months
if that makes a difference?

koop171

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Feb 1, 2008
ohio
A interesting thing you might want to try is taking a 1"ID hose to do your water change once you start a vacuum it will pickup the stone. Then you can do this a couple of times and you just run the hose into a bucket (outside if your hose is long enough.... Don't take that out of context) And then you have the gravel in a bucket and your water gets changed in the process. If you have a good filter with bio media your tank shouldn't be forced into crashing. but if you took the gravel out in say three different sections useing the above method you wouldn't pull that much BB out at one time.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store