Where would you put your overflows on a 8' 240?

NOLAGT

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Dec 5, 2007
Louisiana
I am going to order a 240 (8x2x2) on monday from glasscages and I need to figure where I am going to put the overflows and wanted to hear some opinions.

In the corner so you can see in the chamber in case a fish bails. Also they are as far out the way of your rock work

Set in about 6" so its not in the corner, it gives you a good nook to hide a power head to run a UGJ system on each side of the tank.

Or would you cut off a few inches on each side of the tank for a overflow that went from the front glas to the back glass. Leaving you with a nice wide open floor plan with out 2 big overflow chambers. On the bad side you loose your side views of the tank and your 8' tank is now 7' and maybe some change....

Wall the tank is going on is 12', fish will be Africans, turnover around 5 times at 1500gph through a wetdry, ugj system, black sand.

So where would you put it?

This is the full side overflow....I would cover the outside of the tank with wood to hid the side overflow...U shaped and it would fit snugly.

NOLAGT

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Dec 5, 2007
Louisiana
Anyone else??? I plan to give them a call today.

If there is time and its not too costly I might see what it would cost to make the tank 9' and use the extra foot to make the overflows on the side. If not on the side im thinking set in a few inches from the corners. With 3 sids on the chamber I can probably make them smaller overall and have enough area to flow the water I want.

djarmstrong

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 29, 2008
England
Same option B sounds good to me but so does want you have just said about getting them to make the tank 9foot .

fishfreak69

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 31, 2008
South Carolina
Corners b/c if you take out 6-12" per side you are actually losing 1-2' of space, making that tank less valuable then you originally paid for it. Instead of it being a 240, it is probably a 180-210 now. You can also, have them drill holes, w/o overflow, and have the water go to your wet dry that way, so you are in fact having a FULL 240g of space rather than 220ish from the wet drys. Just pipe it with a 1-2" elbow facing up.. I think this will need one hole very 2.5' or so, or 3 1-2" holes total... The bigger the hole, the better (max 2-2.5"), that way you can adjust the flow with ball valves. I would probably do 3 2" holes, as, the amount of water going down those holes is going to be directly proportionate to the amount of water coming out of the pump.

sploke

Candiru
MFK Member
Nov 1, 2005
Lebanon, CT
Are you drilling the tank? I'd do a coast-to-coast setup, so you only lose about 4" from the top back of the tank, most of the plumbing is on the outside. Thats what I'm doing with my 120.

NOLAGT

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Dec 5, 2007
Louisiana
I am having the tank drilled but I want the plumbing to come outthe bottom. I am pushing it with 24" deep as it is so I want the tank as flush to the wall as possible. What is a coast to coast setup?

So most of yall think in the corners....might do it that way...I was leaning to the 6" in from the corner but not sure now. I will have 2 holes in each...1 1/2 drain and one 1" return in each. I might run a reeflo dart (3600gph @ 0') on the system to get about 2000gph turning the tank over 8 times....

RedTailKinG

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 20, 2008
QUEENS NYC
I like the side the whole side you can get alot of bio filtration that was hym not bad do both sides like this

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store