Aug 15, 2008
Cape Coral,FL
progress so far, (fo;r fresh water)
so this is what i got done so far
when i bought the tank the bottom was drilled so i build a diy durso stand pipe

below the tank 1 1/2 drain w/ on off valve
1/2 return

i had these two old beat up sumps laying around so here we go
the gray is were the water enters and goes through a thin all purpose(blue and white pad) pad then through a couple gals of bioballs next pass the heater then on to the second sump

with diy 1.5 bulk heads

and heres the sketck up

because the mag drive returns water at a faster level then i drain i split the return line to re pump some water back to sump 2. instead of wasting this water i build a w/d type tower, i might add some chemical filtration if i feel its needed.
so the return line is split to an on/off valve then to the tower
in the tower now is some scour pads packed in
then 2 rows of pot scrubbers
then 3 rows of regular type sponges (scrubber on top/foam on the bottom)
then the bottom drawer is empty to allow the system to drain.
i might remove another drawer because i believe the water level will be higher then that

thank you so much to every on at cichlidforums.com for holding my hands while i had no glue what i was doing

so this is what i have done what does every one think

feel free to be a critic:headbang2

cchhcc

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 31, 2006
Virginia Beach, VA USA
Nice setup!

I think you could get more flow through the drains (and the Mag would be able to keep up) if you reduced the restriction of the Durso strainer. It appears you have drilled a cap to prevent large particles (or fish!) from getting through, but that just restricts the drain flow. Also, keep in mind, nothing can get to the Durso that can't fit through the teeth of the overflow, so most people just run their standpipes with no strainers at all.

Another thing to consider: what would happen if those holes plugged up? They will gradually collect an organic layer that may eventually restrict or eliminate your flow altogether.

ozpkchris

Candiru
MFK Member
Aug 15, 2008
Cape Coral,FL
cchhcc;2198036; said:
Nice setup!

I think you could get more flow through the drains (and the Mag would be able to keep up) if you reduced the restriction of the Durso strainer. It appears you have drilled a cap to prevent large particles (or fish!) from getting through, but that just restricts the drain flow. Also, keep in mind, nothing can get to the Durso that can't fit through the teeth of the overflow, so most people just run their standpipes with no strainers at all.

Another thing to consider: what would happen if those holes plugged up? They will gradually collect an organic layer that may eventually restrict or eliminate your flow altogether.

with my setup i am actually not using an over flow wall, the durso will be directly in the tank, most tanks have that wall seperating the tank from the durso, i decided against it, it took a little more time but i got it running right,

as for the cap ur absolutely right, i took that pix in the early stages of my setup,i removed that cap now and i have a over flow type cylinder sponge in the end now

i didnt take pix of it but i coated the durso like a diy rockcave, a ton of silicone and some sand and gravel, so when its etup it should blend right in

ozpkchris

Candiru
MFK Member
Aug 15, 2008
Cape Coral,FL
KMKN;2196974; said:
interesting i might try to make it

3 months ago the most filter experience i had was a whisper and an ugf on a 55

after readings a ton of posts across the net i got inspired to build something and upgrade my tank,

i say go for it a little patience and a lot of stupid questions on the forums and its fairly easy to do

Pharaoh

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MFK Member
Feb 18, 2008
Indianapolis
Very cool. I am planning on doing overflow-less dursos on my 125.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store