HELP: pix of sponge filter

ctoychik

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 4, 2008
LAOS
www.monsterfishkeepers.com
Would anyone be kindlyreply to this thread with their sponge filters. I have read a sticky, i have seen the internet, but i have not seen one in action.

My understanding is that sponge filter is basically a airstone lodged in a sponge (literally). Am i correct with this understanding?

Chago09

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 8, 2006
Ontario
ya your about right. Sorry no pix although I wouldn't recomend it. I know a lot of stores and things use them but the flow is very low and they can't keep up with large cichlid tanks. It works for a tank full of neon tetras and stuff like that. Not A large SA or CA cichlid

Pharaoh

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MFK Member
Feb 18, 2008
Indianapolis
I run sponge filters in all of my tanks. Their ability to filter depends on the airflow that is pushed through them. Some have also hooked them up to powerhead and run them that way. I will look for pics.

Pharaoh

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MFK Member
Feb 18, 2008
Indianapolis

Here are the best ones I have. You would be surprised at what these things will filter. All of my tanks are heavily stocked.

I do not run air stones as they tend to clog up and stop working on me. all mine just have air line run down to the bottom of the filter.

ctoychik

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 4, 2008
LAOS
www.monsterfishkeepers.com
Very tantalizingly interesting. More please. I do find the problem of air stones clogging mightly annoying.

StripeGirl

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 10, 2007
Boston, MA
its not an air stone but an air line.The air line tubing connects directly to the sponge filter there are no air stones but the air line where its connected to the sponge needs to be cleaned out occasionally.I love these filters and i am amazed on the amount of waste that comes out of them at cleaning time.

jmart55

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 16, 2008
Illinois
I agree that sponge filters are the best filter for the money. Only downside is a bit unsightly. I run 6 tanks or 18 total sponge filters off one linear piston air pump. You can't beat the efficiency of that.

Dr Joe

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 8, 2006
Sixty Miles South of Tampa Florida
ctoychik;2206535; said:
Very tantalizingly interesting. More please. I do find the problem of air stones clogging mightly annoying.
Pre-filter the air intake on the air pump.

See your other post for my other comments on filtering.

Dr Joe

Dr Joe

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 8, 2006
Sixty Miles South of Tampa Florida
MsMassPoly;2206554; said:
its not an air stone but an air line.The air line tubing connects directly to the sponge filter there are no air stones but the air line where its connected to the sponge needs to be cleaned out occasionally.I love these filters and i am amazed on the amount of waste that comes out of them at cleaning time.
If you fit them with a limewood airstone it will increase their efficiency by an order of magnitude.

Dr Joe

galen

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 17, 2008
USA
say doc, i heard from someone at a petstore that running a limewood airstone in freshwater is bad cause it'll degrade. it sounded odd to me, but id like your take on that cause the limewood pieces show a nice stream of bubbles in the tanks ive seen using them.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store