filtration idea for 350g?

yemista

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 13, 2008
shhhhhhhhhhhhhhh
Ok, I was helping a friend who has a 350g tank and for filtration he has a 40g sump filled with bioballs. The water however is never clear, so he added 2 pumps that take the water from the sump and push them through 2 Sea-clear canisters to clean it, but the pumps failed and i had this idea for him to redo the filtration. What I was thinking was to removed the pumps and have the sump go back into the overflow like it did, and instead add 2 fx5's filled with sponges to clean the water. the reason the pumps failed was because of the tubing getting clogged and there not being enough water coming out of the sump. would 2 fx5's be able to provide crystal clear water and clean out all the junk in the water?

yemista

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 13, 2008
shhhhhhhhhhhhhhh
He as 40-50 african cichlids. I can also add things for bio-filtration, but the sump seemed to be working beforehand. The issue is just the mechanical filtration to get the water clear because there are a lot of particles of waste and debris floating and I was wondering if the two FX5's would clean this.

Verbosity

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 3, 2008
Savannah
I had an FX5 on a 125G tank with African Cichlids. It kept the water pretty clear. However, I had to pop the top off and clean it quite often. I'm now using just a sump.

Tommydeal

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 1, 2008
Dracut, MA
2 fx5's should be fine for a 350 but I would try to use the sump (wet/dry?) for bio and the fx5 for mechanical filtration. Am I correct in assuming that you're talking about a wet/dry filter when you say sump? Something's wrong with the way it's set up. There should be a prefilter or at least a good screen on the intake/overflow, where the water exits the tank. There should also be a filter pad in the drip-tray of your wetdry. Both of those need to be cleaned on a regular basis but if they're clogging too quickly there's either too much food or too many fish in there.

Pharaoh

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MFK Member
Feb 18, 2008
Indianapolis
Tommydeal;2202446; said:
2 fx5's should be fine for a 350 but I would try to use the sump (wet/dry?) for bio and the fx5 for mechanical filtration. Am I correct in assuming that you're talking about a wet/dry filter when you say sump? Something's wrong with the way it's set up. There should be a prefilter or at least a good screen on the intake/overflow, where the water exits the tank. There should also be a filter pad in the drip-tray of your wetdry. Both of those need to be cleaned on a regular basis but if they're clogging too quickly there's either too much food or too many fish in there.
I agree. Go sump all the way! Make the necessary changes to get it fixed and save youself the money on the FX5s

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store