power back up for filter & heaters???

anubisrising

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 16, 2008
chicago
Just bought a battery operated air pump for when power goes out. Was wondering if there is anything like that or any options for adding a back up to my FX5 Filter and 2 300 watt heaters? Any Help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
Dave

Pharaoh

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MFK Member
Feb 18, 2008
Indianapolis
Doesn't look like those are worth the effort if you look at how long they are rated for. Wouldn't really do you any good. Too bad, heck of an idea though.

gomezladdams

Polypterus
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2005
gilboa,ny
I hooked up a generator to power my tanks and fridge last time we had a long power out.If you have regular power outs and valuble fish its worth it to spend a few hundred on a small genny

Dr Joe

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 8, 2006
Sixty Miles South of Tampa Florida
I've used these for years, I modified mine to use deep cycle batteries an can run for days depending on what's running (basically running as an inverter)(see previous thread on this).

With the right batteries an inverter http://www.dcacpowerinverters.com/itemdesc.asp?ic=PW1100-12 sized to your requirements will keep you going for as long as you need it.

Don't forget a charger (and trickle charger to maintain charge) if you use the inverter.

Dr Joe

HarleyK

Canister Man
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Aug 17, 2005
USA
Howdy,

Your tank will keep the right temp for many hours, and fish are quite tolerant. Heaters would only unnecessarily drain batteries. If you have a generator, then you can hook them up.

Read HERE and THERE

HarleyK

nfored

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Apr 4, 2008
Missouri
I am lucky that I have gas heat, so I can heat the room in the event of a power outage and use battery pumps for air.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store