Got a sump, now what? Lots of pictures with questions.

Camphilophus

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 11, 2008
Howell, Michigan
Bought this sump for my 115gallon acrylic with a built in overflow.

from the back-

from the front-

from the side-

here is overflow #1

overflow #2

pump #1 (no idea why I got 2 pumps with this setup)

pump #2, the return pump (don't know what kind of pump it is)

the hoses (that don't fit on anything)

Knowdafish

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 12, 2007
Philippines
For salt or fresh?

Camphilophus

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 11, 2008
Howell, Michigan
Well heres some info on the situation. I already have my media which is 5 or so gallons of bio-bale. Since I have the built in overflow I don't plan on using the overflows so scrap those. My first question is, what is this thing?

Protein skimmer..? Useless for freshwater right?

Is this setup right?

Does it go right here?

next.. What are these for?

two of them fit together, the other does not fit anything

the big question.. How am I supposed to send the water back to the tank with this? Theres a thread in there but I don't have anything to thread into it.

next, what should I do with these hoses? I don't understand why them came with it since they fit nothing.

Should I just go buy some vinyl hose from depot?

last question (for now) How should I attach my overflow in the tank to these?

I don't have bulkheads or plumbing or anything for my tank yet.

zennzzo

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 18, 2005
Mile High in Northern AZ, baby!~
those two hose barbs in the side of the sump are for hooking to the overflows on your tank...
The large hard, clear plastic "u"-tubes go to the overflows you scrapped...

The reason for two pumps is one returns the water to the tank and the other one runs the protein skimmer.

All you need is some filter material for on top of the drip plate. Bio-balls or equivalent in the bio chamber hook up the pump to a return bulkhead, in the last chamber (sump) with the other side plumbed into the tank...

Camphilophus

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 11, 2008
Howell, Michigan
zennzzo;2209215; said:
those two hose barbs in the side of the sump are for hooking to the overflows on your tank...
The large hard, clear plastic "u"-tubes go to the overflows you scrapped...

The reason for two pumps is one returns the water to the tank and the other one runs the protein skimmer.

All you need is some filter material for on top of the drip plate. Bio-balls or equivalent in the bio chamber hook up the pump to a return line and put it in the last chamber (sump) with the other end in the tank...
Well I won't be using the protein skimmer or overflows so that solves that. I have bio balls, and the bio-bale to fill the media part. I've also got more than enough filter floss and filter pads to cover the drip plate.

I mainly need to know how to hook a return to that pump. I also need to know how to hook the overflow my overflow to those two inlets to the sump.

chesterthehero

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 20, 2008
corona, ca
fyi those overflows are like $40 a piece

judging by the zipties on the hoses.. thats how the previous owner made them work..

the rio pump is good.. the second one looks like the $30 homedeopt pond pump

Camphilophus

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 11, 2008
Howell, Michigan
chesterthehero;2209257; said:
fyi those overflows are like $40 a piece

judging by the zipties on the hoses.. thats how the previous owner made them work..

the rio pump is good.. the second one looks like the $30 homedeopt pond pump

I know how expensive this stuff is lol, I paid $100 for the lot which isn't great but not bad for the condition all of this stuff was in although I spent a good hour cleaning everything up. I'm scrapping the idea of using the overflows, not the overflows them self lol.

Any idea on how to run my return out of this pump though?

Pharaoh

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MFK Member
Feb 18, 2008
Indianapolis
PVC and a big ol' pump. Run it straight out of the sump upto the tank.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store