fluidized bed filters

Austin

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 7, 2005
does anyone use them? haven't seen much talk of them....

Tommydeal

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 1, 2008
Dracut, MA
I don't have one but I'd like to talk about them too. As far as I know, it has several advantages over wet/dry filters. The media (sand) has more surface area and the water flows around all of it, allowing bacteria to colonize the complete surface area, compared to traditional wet/dry media wich often has spots that the water never reaches. Also, according to what I've read, the FBF never needs cleaning. There must be disadvantages as well but I guess I have to do some more research.

Pharaoh

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MFK Member
Feb 18, 2008
Indianapolis
These are typically used in S/W setups. In most cases, the bed filter doesn't allow for the high turnover rates normally utilized in F/W setups. This is not ot say that you couldn't build a larger one, but the normal off-the-shelf ones aren't that impressive.

Pharaoh

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MFK Member
Feb 18, 2008
Indianapolis
Seems like there's a lot of good info in that link. They might be worth the try.

Tommydeal

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 1, 2008
Dracut, MA
Ok, so they don't have a very high flow rate and the BB dies quickly if the filter is turned off for too long. Also they need a very effective mechanical filter. Looks like supplemental filtering is definitely required when using one of these. Can't be beat in terms of biofiltering though apparently.

T1KARMANN

Giant Snakehead
MFK Member
Sep 19, 2005
London UK
they are hard to get started when they stop

and you need a real powerful pump to run them 2500 lph more if you use a large sand filter

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store