Q. on overstocking and filtration setup

JohnnyRooster

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 8, 2008
Ventura
Q. on overstocking and filtration setup
I resently picked up my first big tank(by my standard) 180g. Im not to familiar with the diferent type or brands of filters and pumps, but I can tell you what I know about my system. I would like to know if my set-up is ok since im still learning, and if am overstocked for this set-up?

I have a Ocean clear 325 canister filter, a Gen-x 40 water pump, and a 30"x12"x12" 2 compartment bio-sump tank. I also, have powerhead pump dont know the gph.

The water come into the sump by mean of gravity(no pump).
the water drips into the first compartment 6"x12"x12" onto 2 carbon filled nylons which sit on top of 1" thick of filter material, then a layer of some loose carbon, and then some more filter material.
Then it go's to the 2nd compartment 24"x12"x12" were the bio-ball are. I have about a 3"-4" layer of bio-balls.
then into the pump and to the canister and back out to the tank.

As far as fishes is concern, they are all lake malawi cichlids -my plecos. heres the list:
2-1M, 1F Aulonocara baenschi "benga"
1M Aulonocara jacobfreibergi
1M Aulonocara hybrid "golden peacock"
2-1M, 1F Aulonocara spec. "ruby red"
2M Aulonocara spec. "mbenji"
1M Aulonocara stuartganti "Ngara flametail"
1M Aulonocara stuartganti "flavescent"
2M Champsochromis caeruleus
1M Dimidiochromis comressiceps
1M Nimbochromis venustus
1M Placiochromis phenochilus
3-1M, 2F Protomelas steveni "taiwan reef"
1M Sciaenochromis fryeri
2 Pleco

Only my 2 champs, 2 plecos, and venutus, are of any sagnificant size. My biggest fish is my champs 6"-7". Most of my peacocks are mostly juvies just starting to show color. My biggest one is "ruby red" about 4".

I tried to give as much info as I could. I'm sure I left some things out, but thats why I coming to you guys, to see what I'm doing wrong and what I can learn. Any info would be appreciated.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store