setting up outdoor tanks.

mwvtl

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 17, 2007
fish tank
Due to major remodeling, I have to put 2 of my 130gal tanks (with 1/2 inch thick glass). 1st tank has 2 x 6" S. Arowana, 1 x 6" Australian Arowana, 2nd tank has 1 x 6" sun catfish, 1 x 7" Syno catfish,in my covered patio for the next few months, I am in Sacramento, N. Cal, the cold weather at night might reach 30 degrree some nights, what would be the best way to keep the tank around 75C - 80C? Plus what else I should be aware of? Thanks.

Eleven Bravo

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 12, 2008
PPO
im from the bay. theres no way u can store it inside like the garage? if not i think u should relocate them, ie a friends/family house. dont know what else beside alot of insulation, cover, protection from cats eye balln u fishes. good luck bro

cdienzo

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 24, 2008
Long Beach, CA
I currently have a 100g in my covered patio- with 2 major differences from you: 1. My tank is acrylic, which is a better insulator than glass. 2. I live in SoCal.

The coldest it ever gets at night is about 50*, but when that time comes, I'll throw an extra 300W heater in the tank to go along with the 2 250s that are in the sump. I also put together an insulating blanket to throw over the tank to retain even more heat. The blanket consists of 2 "survival blankets" from an emergency kit sandwiched around some polyfiber quilt batting (the kind used for actual quilts).

As for fending off cats, my lids have a 25# weight lifting plate on top.

HTH.

mwvtl

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 17, 2007
fish tank
Thanks Cdienzo. Not sure if you ever try to estimate how much extra on your power bill for heating that tank?
Any one else keeping tank with fish in a covered patio during cold weather?

Pharaoh

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MFK Member
Feb 18, 2008
Indianapolis
That sounds like it could get expensive. You could try covering the entire tank with the pink/blue poly foam. Box it in and seal the foam together. Then weight the lid down and put a couple air pumps and vent holes. Just a thought though.

cdienzo

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 24, 2008
Long Beach, CA
mwvtl;2211604; said:
Thanks Cdienzo. Not sure if you ever try to estimate how much extra on your power bill for heating that tank?
Any one else keeping tank with fish in a covered patio during cold weather?
I'll have to do some comparisons this winter- it'll be my first with the outdoor setup! Luckily, like I said, I'm in SoCal and 50* is about as low as it gets. It was great all summer- still haven't plugged my heaters back in. I imagine I'll have to in about a month, though.

If worse came to worse, I could always build a collapsible "surround" with a space heater inside for the tank.

Maybe search some of the outdoor pond threads. I'm sure somebody here has posted about their electric bill concerns.

chesterthehero

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 20, 2008
corona, ca
any chance of building a quick and dirty plywood and 2x4 "shed" for them? you could line it with insulation foam (4x8 sheets are like $8).. add 1 or 2 extra heaters and you should be good..

as for $power$.. i ran 2 window ac units almost nonstop for the whole summer.. my electric bill went up about $20 a month.. so i wouldnt sweat the extra heaters too much

cdienzo

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 24, 2008
Long Beach, CA
Those last 2 posts were pretty much what I was thinking to do.

My 100g is actually positioned within the confines of a homemade pergola (google it). It already has a clear, corrugated plastic roof plus I've got lots of extra lumber laying around to fab some quick "detachable walls" onto the pergola's 4 posts.

I actually did have a DIY greenhouse a few years ago. It was essentially a wooden frame with "window panels" made from a double layer of clear plastic "sheets" (came from a big roll- like super thick trash bag material, only clear). It was actually quite warm in there- even during winter.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store