Best type of filtration for a 180 gallon

Eric99

Gambusia
MFK Member
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh, Pa
What is the best type of filtration for a 180 gallon? At my local pet shop they tell me a refugium (20+ gallon) and second best is a wet/dry. What is your opinion? The fish include a 21 inch Silver Arrowana, 10 inch Peacock Bass, 2 big freshwater eels, 2 Clown Loaches, 1 Raphael Cat, 1 Datnoid, 1 Wolffish and 2 Motoro Stingrays. Getting the rays Friday.
Thanks.

albyoscar

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Sep 27, 2006
The home of the CHIEEEFS
Wow, thats quite a stocklist . I think the best thing would be a large wet dry . In the filtration forum there are a few great diy ideas for sumps . Really simple to build and some are pretty cheap . Good Luck

Eric99

Gambusia
MFK Member
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh, Pa
I am probably going to turn either my 30 or 75 gallon into a diy wet/dry. I can do it. Probably would be kind of fun that way you get exactly what you want and if I use my 75 I am going to combine a wet/dry with a refugium.

I heard the cornerflows are only rated for 600 gph each. Could they handle more?

selki

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Aug 20, 2008
Hawaii
ah... when i had my 180 i just put 3 emperor 400...good enough. as long as u do water change every 2 days..suck up all their waste from bottom...if u keep tank bare..should b good =)

justin guest

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 6, 2008
Australia
Eric99;2214580; said:
I am probably going to turn either my 30 or 75 gallon into a diy wet/dry. I can do it. Probably would be kind of fun that way you get exactly what you want and if I use my 75 I am going to combine a wet/dry with a refugium.

I heard the cornerflows are only rated for 600 gph each. Could they handle more?
The combination should work well. As for the corner overflows it depends on the diameter of the outlet pipes
j<><

Eric99

Gambusia
MFK Member
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh, Pa
They are the All Glass Aquarium overflows that come with the tank.

Do I just use aquarium sealant or do I use some kind of adhesive too when I put the dividers in?

Eric99

Gambusia
MFK Member
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh, Pa
The Emporers are out of the question. I am not going to do water changes every 2 days-maybe vacuum out the crap at the bottom that often but that's it. I am going to probably use the 75 and fill it with 3-5 gallons of bio balls, probably 1-2 pounds or more of carbon, and put the mechanical stuff over that plus gravel, lots of plants and a light in the sump part. I will have the best of both worlds and should outfilter damn near anything out there. Also I'm going to put 2 heaters in there and a powerhead that will shoot some water through a uv sterilizer and back to the end of the sump. You guys wait and see. Im going to do this in a month or two.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store