general clown fish questions

125blackfire

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 13, 2008
USA, MD, pasdena
www.bluecrab.info
hey, I'm thinking of getting two clown fish one male another female, as my first fish. but i need a little help with clown fish.

1.my mom really likes puffer fish (shes buying a 55G tank for me hard too say no) can a puffer fish and two clown fish go together?

2.heres a dumb question are clown fish salt water or fresh water?

3.if the clown fish have baby's will i need too buy another tank for them?

4.if two clown fish and a puffer fish are compatible will i need too get more fish in a 55G tank so they wont be lonely or is it too crowded all ready?

5.how big too clown fish get?

6.how much live plants do i need too buy for the clown fish? and how expensive will that get?

7.do the plants need any food too live?

8.do i also have too get coral for clownfish? if so will the puffer fish get hurt from the coral or even possibly the plants?

9.will i need a filter with a tank full of plants, two clownfish, and a puffer fish?

thanks for any help! i hope this helps other people including me.:popcorn:

Reefscape

All Gr8KarmaSF's fault....
MFK Member
Apr 2, 2007
Staffordshire UK
125blackfire;2225355; said:
hey, I'm thinking of getting two clown fish one male another female, as my first fish. but i need a little help with clown fish.

1.my mom really likes puffer fish (shes buying a 55G tank for me hard too say no) can a puffer fish and two clown fish go together?

<<Too general question to answer. A more specific sp of puffer would be required to answer this correctly>>

<<Saltwater :) >>

<<Yes, else they will become food>>

4.if two clown fish and a puffer fish are compatible will i need too get more fish in a 55G tank so they wont be lonely or is it too crowded all ready?

<<There are no issues with having them fish as you state>>

<<Depends on the species you buy, average about 3 inches>>

6.how much live plants do i need too buy for the clown fish? and how expensive will that get?

<<None>>

<<Marine plants, AKA Algae, pull nutrients from the water column, so, no need to provide an additional food source>>

8.do i also have too get coral for clownfish? if so will the puffer fish get hurt from the coral or even possibly the plants?

<<Nope, clownfish dont need....with regards to the puffer, the question is too general too answer, a sspecific SP. is needed here to discuss more>>

9.will i need a filter with a tank full of plants, two clownfish, and a puffer fish?

<<Yes, be it live rock as a filter or an external cannister filter>>

Added some comments above, hope it helps.

BIGgourami

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jan 31, 2007
Chicago, IL
125blackfire;2225355; said:

in a 55 gallon i would really only advise keeping sharpnosed puffers (aka tobies) most species of these should be ok with most species of clowns, unless either or both of them are unusually agressive

salt of course

yes, as reefscape said, they will quickly become food

nope, you could even have just the 2 clowns if you were so inclined, many SW fish don't NEED to have others around, even many of the 'schooling' types

most, as said, get around 3 inches, but species like the 2 stripe and maroon can top out at about 6''

none, but you oculd have them as a decoration if you wanted, be careful they don't get out of hand though

nope

nope, corals are harder to keep tham fish and i wouldn't suggest them untill you get your feet wet, no pun intended

as said, either alot of live rock and some good circulation, or some kind of external filter, yes
my version, lol:D

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store