Chin chin yu....doctor fish?

Potts050

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Aug 15, 2006
Brantford Ontario Canada
I recently purchased some Chin-chin Tilapia doctor fish. They are easily the fastest growing fish I've ever had. They are at least five times the size they were two weeks ago and are eating their weight in pellets every day!
Does anyone have any experience with these fiesty fish?
What is the latin name? I can't find anything on the net about them. Google aint what it used to be....

:irked:

Red Devil

Nice to meet you and welcome to MFK
Staff member
MFK Member
Feb 23, 2006
United states of America
i have never heard of them but sure would like to see some pics if you could.. they sound so unique...

Red Devil

Staff member
MFK Member
Feb 23, 2006
United states of America
Potts050;2234477; said:
Then I shall Take some...
great thanks very much

Potts050

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Aug 15, 2006
Brantford Ontario Canada
These are in fact not the famous Species rufa from the Gara Genus that are the doctor fish of Turkish fame.These are a knock off marketed from China as an equally effective skin nipper that will exfoliate your skin in a spa. They are being marketed on the net for people in the esthetician business. I'm pretty sure they are some kind of S.Tilapia.

Mine came from a LFS who had eight. I bought all of them because like most collectors, I want something that few others have...LOL...and two weeks later there are only three left. They are very aggressive and voraciuos eaters. My guess is they will soon outgrow their 30 gallon tank.

They hate the camera focus light so only one picture turned out....

Juvenile Chin-Chin Yu.JPG

Onion01

Polypterus
MFK Member
Aug 8, 2007
Miami
an article just came out in TFH talking about these fish. Yours are tilapia. Garra rufa have sucker mouths. They actually mentioned how people are tricked into buying tilapia

Red Devil

Staff member
MFK Member
Feb 23, 2006
United states of America
They are very nice looking..... yes i just saw the article that they were nipping on someones feet.... i think LI put the story in the lounge.. how big do they get when mature, are you planning on keeping them... too bad you lost the others..

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store